I need some guidance on my first chimney and stove cleaning,

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

royal

Dec 4, 2011
Western NY
Well first of I would like to say hello to everyone. I am new to this site and have been reading a lot of useful information, while i was waiting for my registration to get approved. I am totally new to wood burning and am getting ready to clean my chimney before this burning season. I thought it would be as simple as going up on the roof take the cap off the pipe and run the cleaner up and down the pipe a few times , then go in the house open the stove door and scoop out the mess. Well it is almost that easy except there is a shelf on the top of the stove made of fire brick and a ceramic blanket.Now I dont really want to disconnect the stove pipe if I dont have to .So can I take the shelf down , clean the chimney, then put the bricks and blanket back after I clean out the mess?Its a pretty simple looking setup , there are no bends in the pipe its straight up just that shelf in my way. What is the proper way? My stove is a country s(a)160 striker. Thanks for all your suggestions. Mike

yes, pull out the bricks and baffle. you should be able to look up the liner. vaccuum with shop vac. done. Just did mine today, got about 2.5 cups of creasote of the pipe, most of it from the last foot or two from the top.

Sounds like you're describing your baffle. I'm not very familiar with your particular stove, but do these bricks and blanket sit on top of some tubes?

Edit:someone beat me to it

Yep it's the baffle and they sit on stainless tubes with holes in them. That's what I thought I should do just wanted to beside as I'm new to this. My brother said I had to disconnect the stove pipe and vac the blanket after I cleaned the pipes. It seems it would be a lot cleaner to remove the baffle and do it that way. Thanks so much

Yup remove the baffle first and let it fall into the bottom of the stove. Sweep it up, toss it, and be done. Happy burning

Status
Not open for further replies.