I need some help please.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

etiger2007

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2012
Clio Michigan
Im new to burning wood just started last year, I have a Dutch West wood insert DW2500 it has a small 1.3 cubic ft fire box. I have a Rutland magnetic thermostat on the cast iron door (left top) and I can get that gage uto 650 degrees. I just had a fire and the gauge was at 500 degrees so I used my infrared laser thermometer. First I took the door temp it read 406 degrees, next I took the stove top temp 230 degrees, next i took the temp of the acual fire 718 degrees, finally i took the temp of the steel liner about a foot above the stove 249 degrees. My question is am I burning too hot or am I not pushing this stove enough? Where is the best place to get a temp reading? I have made the baffle red hot but i think that was more due to how I was controlling the air. Please help I want to get the most out of this stove and not burn the house down Thanks fellow wood burners.

Welcome!

Your manual should have information as to what is the optimum operating temp for your unit, as well as where to place the thermo for the most accurate reading. Have you checked that.

After posting that, I pulled your manual and see.....zero guidance from VC on this subject. The only mention of temps I see is that the last break-in fire should be "between 500 *f and......" Obviously, something was omitted there, but also, knowing the recommended temp alone is not sufficient. You have to know WHERE to take your reading, as you obviously realized before posting. Hmmm.

For what it is worth, just coming from someone who doesn't burn an insert (which is to say, "not much"), I'm thinking that 500* on the door face is well within acceptable operating temps, and could be even higher and still be safe.

Anyone?

First of all thank you for taking time to reply and look up the manual, I do have my manual and yes they missed an important piece of information. I did get the the temp gauge up to 650 the other night and I was alittle nervous; i did replace the door gasket earlier that day and it has improved my temps staying consistant for longer periods of time. If i could run it 600 to 650 degrees ( per the door temp) and be safe I would love it because when its at that temp she throws the heat for sure.

Glad to do it. I'd wait for someone here who has more experience with your insert, but for my stove, 650* (stovetop) is what I'm shooting for on a cold night, and I've pushed it higher than that with no problems seen.

Failing that, you could contact the manufacturer directly, or ask a local dealership. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.