I need some information on Buck Stove fireplace inserts...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

memt

Dec 6, 2013
Georgia
I purchased a house 4 years ago with a fireplace that has a Buck Stove insert. I have no idea how old it is or the model number. I haven't used it in over a year, but it worked the last time I did use it. It has a cord that plugs in and a 2 speed blower. It looks all cast iron with doors with glass "windows" although very dirty ones. I would like to get rid of it and replace it with simple glass doors instead. My problem is that I have no idea how to remove it or what price to put on it to sell. Please keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about this kind of thing! LOL! Any info would be appreciated.

Sounds like one of the older models such as this one......
Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 3.27.50 PM.png

Most of those units were just slipped into the fireplace and perhaps connected by a short tube to the damper area....if it was done right, a sheet metal plate is up there closing off the area around that tube.

As far as removal, it's mostly a matter of the muscle. If I were doing it, I'd lay a thin sheet of sheet metal or thin plywood to protect the hearth - life the front of the unit and slide it a few inches underneath.

Then I would stick my head inside the unit and look up (with safety glasses on) through the damper to see if there was a tube connected. If so, I would wiggle it and try to push it up from the unit. Or, maybe the top panel is removable from the outside of the unit - in which case you may be able to get your hands back there and disconnect.

Even if none of the above works, chances are that some muscle slowly pulling the thing out, one side and then the other.....inches at a time or less...will bear fruit.

As far as selling price, this depends on the condition and whether you can confirm that the blowers and thermostats for them work. If they don't work and it's warped, etc. then the value is scrap or very low. If everything is perfect and you clean it, test it and paint it, it could fetch $300 or more.

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, that one looks very similar to mine. Basically as long as someone pretty well knows what they're doing I wouldn't have to hire a contractor or anything to remove it? I'm guessing I would just need to have all of the ashes cleaned out of it and have it cleaned as well as I can before removing it so the den/living room doesn't get covered in soot and ash?! I'm also guessing I wouldn't know if it was warped until I removed it, correct?

Buck has several different sizes of that model, the 26000,27000 and 28000 are the most popular, all depending on the size of the firebox. They also have the Caroline I and II which look pretty simular.

They are hungry units that will put out the heat but will eat a lot of wood in doing so.

Webbie has covered this pretty good. Very easy to remove most times just slid in the fireplace.

Since you are in GA and more than likely not 24/7 burning this unit would do you fine during those cold snaps you guys get, I would recommend putting in a liner to at least the first tile in your chimney to make it a bit safer burning.

The stack kits can be purchased from Bucks website: http://www.buckstove.com/partsstore/home.php?cat=23

If you are looking to replace it with glass doors then look at: http://www.stollfireplace.com/masonry/

Status
Not open for further replies.