1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I need to drop this hung tree (so I can burn it!)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by wahoowad, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wahoowad

wahoowad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia
    This Virginia Pine rotted out at the base and fell into the treetops next to it. It seems dead/rotted all the way through. I have let it be for several months but it has not fallen on it's own. If I release the base I am not sure if it will fall. I might try to get a rope into the top and pull on it first before I try to cut through the base. They say a tree like this can 'barberpole' and violently split/delaminate but I'm pretty sure this one is dead all the way thru. I wanna get it split and stacked up for a future season.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Those can be a tough take and they're all a little different...I hate doing 'em. Hope it turns on easy for you.
  3. stee6043

stee6043 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    This may not be the proper method - but in the past I've successfully dropped trees like this by relief cutting the top side, above the current break, and the start your main cut from the bottom until it falls bottom first. In my situation I've had to repeat this three or four times before the tree becomes "short enough" to fall on it's own. You don't have much control over which direction it falls doing it this way. But eventually the tree will fall, guaranteed.

Just make sure you're standing off to the side for the first set of cuts....definitely not behind it.
  4. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    When you cut it make sure you are standing. Not bent over or kneeling. Standing makes for a fast getaway and reduces exposed area of back and neck from falling objects. Have a retreat path clear. Cut above break from top first and then from bottom but not all the way through. Then try and pull it down. That tree won't barber chair but some of the bent ones it's leaning on may. Pretty easy takedown .Be safe.
  5. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    Hmmm, cut above the break? I was thinking below it would have less stress on it.
  6. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Ja, halfwitt is right.
  7. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

sounds good could even cut it 2/3-3/4 and pull with a tractor
  8. ccwhite

ccwhite Member

Loc:
    Steubenville, OH
    I would do like halfwitt said and then if you can get a decent sized tractor, ATV or truck to it pull it down after the first cut.This is generally my attack plan when I find em like this. Good luck & be careful.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    On these I make the cuts vertically on the backside of the tree from the direction I will be pulling. I cut halfway or so through a three or four foot section above and below the break in the tree. Then I yank the section out with a cable attached to the truck or tractor.
  10. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    I looked closer and can tell most of the weight of the pine is resting on those two smaller poplars, Thole 4 to 6 inch poplars seem to be under a lot of stress.

I have 17 horses in my Craftsman riding lawnmower. Time to put them to work.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    truck would be better more weight
  12. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    A large come-along hooked to the tree in the foreground will do it just fine.
  13. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    +1 thats even safer
  14. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    No come along. I didn't think about the weight aspect of that Craftsman. I guess I can get my truck back there so will do that.
  15. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Unless it is a GT or a manual trans, a LT/YT with hydro would never have the torque to apply all 17 horses. I use a come-along and a soft sling around a nearby tree rather than rut up the yard getting heavy equip to the site.
  16. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
  17. lexybird

lexybird Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwestern PA.
    sure seems like a lot of work for just a pine,if anything id cut for safety reasons in fear of it falling on a passerby
  18. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

just make sure you have enough rope and hit it with a 5-10mph run it go!
  19. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Then post a pic of the rope mark on the back of your neck. Better yet, video tape it for You Tube. We can all use a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.
  20. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana

lol you seem to know it all my rope will handle 12500 lbs shock 150 ft long its a bad boy and have snap many of ropes nothing happens but sounds like a riffle going off
  21. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
  22. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    lol you darn sure got to be smart enough not to stand in the path of any rope chain or cable it can and will happen with all 3 so if I was to take one for the team like you say I will chose the rope and no hooks please and i will not be in the path no matter witch one is used. you can always find a jack@ass doing something very wrong on you tube,and there is also allot doing things right just need to have common since. That tree he is dealing with not very big long rope big truck game over in a couple min.s comelong would be better but I wouldnt be afarid as long as the rope is long enough(again have enough comon sence just stay bad!)
  23. mainstation

mainstation Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.Ont.
    To me those pics of that tree , it honestly doesn't look like it will be that hard to drop. Safety first always, but remember compression and tension when making the buck cut and LL is right get a comealong on that sucker to help with the barberpole possibilty. Or just use the Comealong and winch it down.
  24. wahoowad

Loc:
    Virginia
    It's down now. Minimal blood loss and breakage of gear. Time to put another notch in the WildThing that just won't die!

It took 2 ropes, a truck, a neighbor's comealong, a neighbor, a ladder, a few ruts and I'm only half way done with the job. :)
  25. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    crap I posted and didn't know the tree was down already, haha!!

nice to hear it went safe!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.