I need to drop this hung tree (so I can burn it!)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
This Virginia Pine rotted out at the base and fell into the treetops next to it. It seems dead/rotted all the way through. I have let it be for several months but it has not fallen on it's own. If I release the base I am not sure if it will fall. I might try to get a rope into the top and pull on it first before I try to cut through the base. They say a tree like this can 'barberpole' and violently split/delaminate but I'm pretty sure this one is dead all the way thru. I wanna get it split and stacked up for a future season.

DSCF0733.JPG

DSCF0736.JPG

Those can be a tough take and they're all a little different...I hate doing 'em. Hope it turns on easy for you.

This may not be the proper method - but in the past I've successfully dropped trees like this by relief cutting the top side, above the current break, and the start your main cut from the bottom until it falls bottom first. In my situation I've had to repeat this three or four times before the tree becomes "short enough" to fall on it's own. You don't have much control over which direction it falls doing it this way. But eventually the tree will fall, guaranteed.

Just make sure you're standing off to the side for the first set of cuts....definitely not behind it.

When you cut it make sure you are standing. Not bent over or kneeling. Standing makes for a fast getaway and reduces exposed area of back and neck from falling objects. Have a retreat path clear. Cut above break from top first and then from bottom but not all the way through. Then try and pull it down. That tree won't barber chair but some of the bent ones it's leaning on may. Pretty easy takedown .Be safe.

Hmmm, cut above the break? I was thinking below it would have less stress on it.

HalfwittingLEE said:
Cut above break from top first and then from bottom but not all the way through...
Ja, halfwitt is right.

HalfwittingLEE said:
When you cut it make sure you are standing. Not bent over or kneeling. Standing makes for a fast getaway and reduces exposed area of back and neck from falling objects. Have a retreat path clear. Cut above break from top first and then from bottom but not all the way through. Then try and pull it down. That tree won't barber chair but some of the bent ones it's leaning on may. Pretty easy takedown .Be safe.

sounds good could even cut it 2/3-3/4 and pull with a tractor

I would do like halfwitt said and then if you can get a decent sized tractor, ATV or truck to it pull it down after the first cut.This is generally my attack plan when I find em like this. Good luck & be careful.

On these I make the cuts vertically on the backside of the tree from the direction I will be pulling. I cut halfway or so through a three or four foot section above and below the break in the tree. Then I yank the section out with a cable attached to the truck or tractor.

I looked closer and can tell most of the weight of the pine is resting on those two smaller poplars, Thole 4 to 6 inch poplars seem to be under a lot of stress.

I have 17 horses in my Craftsman riding lawnmower. Time to put them to work.

wahoowad said:
I looked closer and can tell most of the weight of the pine is resting on those two smaller poplars, Thole 4 to 6 inch poplars seem to be under a lot of stress.

truck would be better more weight

A large come-along hooked to the tree in the foreground will do it just fine.

BrotherBart said:
A large come-along hooked to the tree in the foreground will do it just fine.
+1 thats even safer

No come along. I didn't think about the weight aspect of that Craftsman. I guess I can get my truck back there so will do that.

wahoowad said:
Unless it is a GT or a manual trans, a LT/YT with hydro would never have the torque to apply all 17 horses. I use a come-along and a soft sling around a nearby tree rather than rut up the yard getting heavy equip to the site.

sure seems like a lot of work for just a pine,if anything id cut for safety reasons in fear of it falling on a passerby

wahoowad said:
No come along. I didn't think about the weight aspect of that Craftsman. I guess I can get my truck back there so will do that.

just make sure you have enough rope and hit it with a 5-10mph run it go!

smokinj said:
wahoowad said:

Then post a pic of the rope mark on the back of your neck. Better yet, video tape it for You Tube. We can all use a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
wahoowad said:

Then post a pic of the rope mark on the back of your neck. Better yet, video tape it for You Tube. We can all use a "hold my beer and watch this" moment.

lol you seem to know it all my rope will handle 12500 lbs shock 150 ft long its a bad boy and have snap many of ropes nothing happens but sounds like a riffle going off

LLigetfa said:
smokinj said:
have snap many of ropes nothing happens but sounds like a riffle going off
Are you a cat with 9 lives?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFX4BriYj2w

lol you darn sure got to be smart enough not to stand in the path of any rope chain or cable it can and will happen with all 3 so if I was to take one for the team like you say I will chose the rope and no hooks please and i will not be in the path no matter witch one is used. you can always find a jack@ass doing something very wrong on you tube,and there is also allot doing things right just need to have common since. That tree he is dealing with not very big long rope big truck game over in a couple min.s comelong would be better but I wouldnt be afarid as long as the rope is long enough(again have enough comon sence just stay bad!)

To me those pics of that tree , it honestly doesn't look like it will be that hard to drop. Safety first always, but remember compression and tension when making the buck cut and LL is right get a comealong on that sucker to help with the barberpole possibilty. Or just use the Comealong and winch it down.

It's down now. Minimal blood loss and breakage of gear. Time to put another notch in the WildThing that just won't die!

It took 2 ropes, a truck, a neighbor's comealong, a neighbor, a ladder, a few ruts and I'm only half way done with the job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.