1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

i need to fiqure out the total sq. foot of my house.

Post in 'DIY and General non-hearth advice' started by adamant, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamant

adamant New Member

do i measure each room or measure the Length x width of the house?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Length X Width for a single floor, do same calculation for a 2nd or 3rd floor then add them up..

Ray
  3. PSYCHO

PSYCHO New Member

Loc:
    Newburgh, NY
    Depending, accurately, you'd need to add up each room individually. Lots of dead space in many homes, which is bad if you're looking to pay for something by the square foot. The dead space doesn't count for the remodel, but the remodeler would love to charge you for it!
  4. adamant

adamant New Member

its to determine heater size
  5. Gooserider

Gooserider Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Northeastern MA (near Lowell)
    What you need is more than just square footage, as there are a lot of factors that go into it. The pro's use a thing called a "Manual-J" that takes into account sq. footage, ceiling height, insulation, your quality of windows and doors, and so forth...

If you go to HeatingHelp.com they have a free program put out by the boiler company "SlantFin" that will let you figure all that stuff into it, and come up with an exact number. It is billed as a :sick: Windows program, but it will run on Linux under WINE.

Gooserider
  6. jklingel

jklingel Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Fairbanks
    On that note, aren't all those programs just a quick way to use Q= U*A*(delta T)? I believe I have compared my "old way" calcs to using a program and the numbers were pretty similar. I don't see how they could be different, frankly. So, if a program doesn't work, crunch the numbers yourself. There are tons of insulation manuals that explain how to fill in the equation, and it is not that complicated. For the most part, you only have a limited type of heat loss.... then figure in normal infiltration, doors being left open, etc....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.