I need to get into this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I bought a car with HD stock last year. Sold some off at $120, and it's gone up another $15 since then. :)

I admire people who know how stocks work. I have a 401k but honestly my grandpa was the only one who knew what he was doing. I just figured out how to post pictures so definitely technology challenged lol.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
There's people in western Long Island that haven't seen a tree in the wild. Therefore they have to import it.

There's people in western Long Island that haven't seen a tree in the wild. Therefore they have to import it.

That absolutely blew me away when I was house shopping on Long Island. It took me months of house hunting to realize that the nicer the property is, the cheaper it is.

I got a house on a couple acres of land, backing up to a couple hundred acres of public woods, for much cheaper than the house would have been if it was located in the center of an asphalt wasteland.

I think they're actually frightened of trees. I showed a co-worker the house on the Google maps satellite view, and she told me extremely seriously to be VERY CAREFUL because there were all those TREES and there could be MOSQUITOS and I could get SICK. ....I didn't really know where to start with that, so I told her I'd be careful. :)

Reactions: Espartaco
I admire people who know how stocks work. I have a 401k but honestly my grandpa was the only one who knew what he was doing. I just figured out how to post pictures so definitely technology challenged lol.
A 401k is easy as can be. Just keep socking away money nice and regularly into something that tracks the S&P 500. Prices will rise and fall but over time you will buy more when the price is low because that regular contribution will buy more at that time and the S&P just keeps on climbing over time. Even the Dow can be used for a regular contribution. Back in the 1970s I was playing individual stocks while the Dow was in the 600-700 range. Today the talk is all about whether it will break through 20000 in the next few days. If I had invested $1000 back then in a $700 Dow index, today I would be looking at around 28500+/-. It doesn't take a genius to make money in a broad based market index over a long time. The really talented players can beat that, but not consistently. Meanwhile I am happy that I did in fact invest all they would allow in my 401k while I was working and now I have a very nice nest egg. There was no such thing as a 401k back when I was playing the market so my earnings are less (less time for compound interest to work for me) but even so I have seen my money multiply very nicely. The hard part is leaving your money invested when things go sour, like in 2008/2009. It took everything I had to up the ante in that year but it sure paid off nicely in the long run.

Old 47,
In the Reaganomics era of the late 80s-early 90s my parents on a modest income bought a buttload of Walgreens
and some oddity no one heard of called airtime. Who knew. The pager/ carphone explosion started and they used
airtime on the few existing cell towers, and Walgreens cornered the pharmaceutical market with their "Intercom network"
with all stores having real time prescription information so travelers could pick up their meds anywhere nationwide.
Walgreen's literally hasn't posted a losing quarter yet. They easily convinced me to get in on that one.
Broke now, certainly not later,
Been on the brink of cashing out a few times but luckily never have. Was about to in two weeks with foreclosure
looming and nailed a great job that starts Monday!! God is just plain awesome like that.

CheapAndScrapingByAtTheMoment

Reactions: D8Chumley
What a bargain!

0892cb36906148a30c6ef06e98c9e2e1.jpg

Post #33

I have plenty of scrounge that looks like that with a lil' sanding, polishing, and a layer of clearcoat.
It would take all of two hours. LOLOLOL