I no longer discuss wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time the subject comes up i hear "thats too much work" even from those that have no job(especially from those that have no job). Only know 2 other people in my town (of 17000) who burn wood and one of them is my son. So no fear of wood shortage around here.

Eastern Central PA......?

I don't even talk about fire wood to family any more. 2 years ago I found that motherload, a neighborhood where the tree service spent 3 days and everyone was asking me to take their wood. Most of it was oak, cherry, and red maple. One of of the houses even had about 2 cords of cut and fully seasoned oak he wanted to get rid of too. I had just bought a house with a wood stove, so I was just starting out and figured I had found enough for my "3 year plan" right here. So I asked if my brother would help me pick it all up in exchange for a couple truck loads of wood (he still lives with my parents who heat with wood) and some beer. Well, he invites my dad, which was fine. Dad invited my brother-in-law. So now my score is cut 3 ways! I'm all for helping family, but what REALLY rubbed me the wrong way is my BIL has found several scores on his own, some where he spent a full week of evenings picking up, and he hasn't mentioned a thing to me. I'm all for helping family, but they gotta reciprocate!!!!

Scrounge spots are a lot like fishing spots, you tell people exactly where they are not.
I stopped talking to people (other than my poor wife) about wood because I get tired of hearing about how pine is bad, oak seasons in 6 months, blah blah blah.
If I find someone who cares, then we can have a good conversation.

Reactions: Seanm
I talk about firewood with a select few, and even fewer know that I'm 4 years ahead. I'm not opposed to talking about it, but very few people that I know share my obsession for the topic.

Every time the subject comes up i hear "thats too much work" even from those that have no job(especially from those that have no job). Only know 2 other people in my town (of 17000) who burn wood and one of them is my son. So no fear of wood shortage around here.
Yea. Let's keep it our secret. Wood heat is the best heat.:). If everybody heated with wood they'd tax your firewood somehow. Maybe they already do in some states.!!!

I talk about firewood with a select few, and even fewer know that I'm 4 years ahead. I'm not opposed to talking about it, but very few people that I know share my obsession for the topic.
I get, What do you do with all that wood?

Reactions: blazincajun
Status
Not open for further replies.