I now have my Harman Accentra 2 installed and burning away. It's blissfully warm downstairs now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vferdman

Aug 17, 2007
South Hadley, Mass
Hi, all. I've been quiet for a while because there was no stove news for me. The person I got the stove from was not ready to part with it until very recently (she had central heat installed and the gas company took its time hooking her house up). When the stove was ready to be picked up a couple weeks ago all the installers (of whom there are precious few in my area) were too busy to even answer my calls. I finally got a hold of a great installer recommended to me via PM on this very forum. This guy is very good, punctual and courteous. Did not leave a mess and was a pleasure to deal with. Long story short, as of yesterday, 11/11/09 2 pm my Harman Accentra 2 has been blowing lovely heat into my downstairs. I first started by setting it to 95 degrees for an hour to burn off stuff that remained after I cleaned it out in my driveway before we rolled it into its new home. It looked very neglected, but nothing was damaged. I spent a good hour taking things apart and cleaning (brush and vacuum). It started right up and after an hour or so it was ALMOST too warm in the basement. I have since dialed it down to 65 degrees and it's staying there for now. I need to see what fuel consumption is going to be like. I used electric heat in this space before and in the winter we simply did not use the space (it's where TV is) because we struggled to keep it at 60 degrees (60 degrees cost about $100/month in electricity). I hope the pellet heat will be cheaper. Time will tell. The real cold weather is still ahead.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello to everyone and complete my saga of the installation. As a reminder I had a choice between core-drilling the foundation for vent or going above the foundation line through the wall. I ended up going through the wall with external induction. Harman makes this kit which comes with a thimble and on the internal wall the thimble connects to a double connection: one for intake air and one for exhaust. The thimble also has two air paths accordingly. Smart device, but costs $170. What are you going to do? With external induction the vent can be as close as 18" to the wall opening (door, window, etc.), which was a must in my case. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

glad to hear everything worked out well for you. Yes, we love pics!

Congrats and Enjoy!

I dont believe you have a pellet stove at all...only one way to prove it! In the event you are telling the truth, congrats and enjoy your stove, Harman makes a nice product

vferdman said:
....I can post pictures if anyone is interested.
Yes....we love pics, especially burning pics!

Congrats on the install, & enjoy the heat.

vferdman said:
I need to see what fuel consumption is going to be like. I used electric heat in this space before and in the winter we simply did not use the space (it's where TV is) because we struggled to keep it at 60 degrees (60 degrees cost about $100/month in electricity). I hope the pellet heat will be cheaper. Time will tell. The real cold weather is still ahead.
Welcome and enjoy the heat!!
Last year was our first year with the stove and are still learning.
We went through 3.5 tons to heat a small Cape(2 floors 1500 sq ft) Oct-April.
I think that you will be pleased with the cost to keep it at 65.
I bet you'll end up setting it at 70 before the Winter is over!!

Again, welcome and enjoy!!

ditto on the welcome. I think you are going to love the heat from that stove, especially compared to electric. My first year burning also and already know that I should have done this years ago.

oh yeah, pics are pretty much a requirement with this bunch :)

Congrats on the install as well....beware of pellet addiction it is going around this time of year. All we need now is a few pictures to make sure it really happened!

Since it looked a bit neglected did you take off the rear covers and clean out the fines collection box, check the ESP probe for buildup, and vac dustbunnies out of the motors? Those are once a year type cleaning items that may be overlooked if you or the previous owner didn't take the covers off.

charles u farley said:
Since it looked a bit neglected did you take off the rear covers and clean out the fines collection box, check the ESP probe for buildup, and vac dustbunnies out of the motors? Those are once a year type cleaning items that may be overlooked if you or the previous owner didn't take the covers off.

Yes, Very Good Info!!

charles u farley said:

You are correct, there were a lot of dust bunnies and it looked like it was never cleaned before. However, the installer (he also services these things and is a Harman trained person) was on the ball and took everything apart for cleaning before rolling the stove to its place in the house. This allowed me to thoroughly clean everything according to his instructions. I vacuumed dist bunnies, cleaned out fines from everywhere they collect, cleaned the heat exchanger, etc. This thing started its new life in very clean shape.

Here is the picture of it going. Sorry for the quality, it's not easy to take pictures with a bright flame in it.

Attachments

• DSCF5960.jpg
    DSCF5960.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 337
  • DSCF5964.jpg
    DSCF5964.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 325
Congratulations !!!! Great looking stove.

IMHO, it was a good move getting an installer that knows these stoves to go thru it.

Status
Not open for further replies.