I now know why you guys need wood sheds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
I'd love to build a shed by the house but there is not a good spot & the wife is not on board with that idea. Still trying to figure out if it might be possible. Until then, the porch does hold about 2 cord and after that its a small truckload from the back yard every 2 weeks or so.

Make the wife lug the wood in from the stacks herself. She'll change her mind quick.

My old farmhouse has an attached enclosed woodshed at the back of the house. Looks sweet, and man is it a lifesaver.

gyrfalcon said:
Make the wife lug the wood in from the stacks herself. She'll change her mind quick.

My old farmhouse has an attached enclosed woodshed at the back of the house. Looks sweet, and man is it a lifesaver.

LOL the wife I think would rather pay propane... The problem is I agree with her, partly for looks - it just wouldnt look right in the front yard (although might look ok with the right design done nicely), and its on a slope wich isnt ideal either. I think we could make it work if we added a porch of sorts to the side of the house, which would be perfect because right inside that wall is where the insert is. But then I got to jump through hoops with zoning and code and put a doorway in. I want to do that just going to take more work and $ than I have right now. Its hard to justify when I can hold 2 cords on the porch and a couple weeks worth by the stove inside. Its not like we have to run out to the back of the property each day.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
gyrfalcon said:

LOL the wife I think would rather pay propane... The problem is I agree with her, partly for looks - it just wouldnt look right in the front yard (although might look ok with the right design done nicely), and its on a slope wich isnt ideal either. I think we could make it work if we added a porch of sorts to the side of the house, which would be perfect because right inside that wall is where the insert is. But then I got to jump through hoops with zoning and code and put a doorway in. I want to do that just going to take more work and $ than I have right now. Its hard to justify when I can hold 2 cords on the porch and a couple weeks worth by the stove inside. Its not like we have to run out to the back of the property each day.

Heh. As a person of the female persuasion myself, I admit to sometimes being baffled by the esthetic and financial priorities of many of my "sisters."

On the other hand, sounds like the house siting and the local code are more to blame for the woodshed problem than anything else, yes? On the other other hand, sounds like you've got a great set-up between the porch and the stove room, so no tears for you. (Seriously, I'm on a sloped property myself, so I know very well the way that closes off options for lots of things.)

Speaking of priorities, the previous owners (of 50 years) of my house had turned the enclosed woodshed in the back into -- wait for it -- a hot tub room. I made them agree to take the wretched thing out as a condition of the offer.

you are all spoiled! i made a newbie mistake and piled the wood away from the house to keep the critters and snakes out of my wifes view. now i have to bring it up from the bush stacks and keep it in the porch. seems there is only enough room for a couple of days worth. so i have to make the trek out to the pile quite regular. cold and all! In the spring i like the design of the palet shed close to the back door :)

bucketboy said:
you are all spoiled! i made a newbie mistake and piled the wood away from the house to keep the critters and snakes out of my wifes view. now i have to bring it up from the bush stacks and keep it in the porch. seems there is only enough room for a couple of days worth. so i have to make the trek out to the pile quite regular. cold and all! In the spring i like the design of the palet shed close to the back door :)
Gee... break out the cry towels.

Status
Not open for further replies.