i really need some.... help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

squib

Oct 17, 2008
east oh
searched & found a lot of info. on the mtd, huskee, troy built log splitters but found noting on the ariens. i have looked at & priced the splitters at tsc, lowes, hd & etc

the ariens is new to hd so the sales people can not give me any feed back on them { have not sold any yet ] . ariens is 27 ton with a subaru eng. 169 cc. 16.5 sec.

cycle time, 1600.00.

huskee 28 ton is 1500.00, cycle time is 18 sec., 22 ton huskee is 1099.00 cycle time is 14 sec.,. at tsc. lowes troy built 27 ton 1s 1300.00. at hd the mtd unit

25 ton is 1250.00. forgot the cycle time on these two units.

some differences this one has a horizontal shaft, that one has a vertical shaft, this one has a honda engine, that one has a b & s engine & etc.

i cut whatever i can get & burn { heat } with the fireplace & cast iron grate heater & glass doors . long rant but i don`t want to mess this purchase up .

can anyone give me info. on the ariens splitter. ??

any & all recommendiations will be helpful........ this will be my first splitter purchase.

thank you...

i just got one of the ariens a week ago.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44333/

no problems yet other than operator error of towing the thing without the fuel shutoff.

seems to be well built. i split up some oak about 24" around in the vertical position yesterday with no problems.

i like the splitter.

lots of parts on the thing say made in the USA on them.

The home depots around here do a 10% military discount. if the store close to you does that it worth finding a vet to buy the thing with you.

any particular questions about the splitter let me know.

R. J,

thanks for the reply. have you used it in both positions? do you have any of the accs. for it ? is this your first splitter ? what about ease of operation & cycle time
seemed

long, did the machine keep up with you or did you have to wait on it to cycle.

maybe i`m looking to much at cycle time & not about getting the wood split.?

thanks

have you used it in both positions? yes, i prefer the horizontal because its at waist level, but if the round is too heavy ill split it first in the vertical position to make it smaller. i wouldnt buy a splitter that didnt go vertical as well as horizontal. its a nice feature, and only requires pulling 1 spring loaded pin.

do you have any of the accs. for it ? the only accessory i might get is the table to catch the wood that is split. right now i just let the wood pile up until it catches the splits for me. the table would be nicer, i think its 60$.

is this your first splitter ? The first one ive owned, but ive used my fair share of them.

what about ease of operation & cycle time
seemed long, did the machine keep up with you or did you have to wait on it to cycle.

ease of operation? its got 1 lever. doesnt get any easier than that. its got a detent so you can let the ram return while your loading the next piece of wood. the machine is well balanced making it easy to move around, and as for the cycle time, its plenty fast enough. after i split a piece i hit the lver and send it back, load my next piece of wood and usually catch the ram before it fully returns to the start position. if i dont catch it in time its just a few seconds to go from the start position to my 16-20" wood.

ive only been using it for a week or so, but no complaints so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.