I say black locust. Wood ID please! ;)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHeath

Feeling the Heat
Feb 18, 2013
Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
Got a load today with some mix. Big rounds, look like locust to a newbie. What do you guys think?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Reactions: PA Fire Bug
No way locust. Looks like oak to me.

Definitely not locust but if it is Red Oak you are no worse for the effort except for the timeline to fuel with oak Vs. Locust.

RED OAK all day every day.

Reactions: ScotO
not even close to locust..

THIS is locust:

Attachments

• 130213_0001.jpg
    130213_0001.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 321
  • 130213_0002.jpg
    130213_0002.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 270
Reactions: ScotO
Not Black Locust. The second picture looks a little like oak, but the first picture does not look like oak. I don't know what it is.

Swamp Ash.........honestly not sure what that is, but I am sure it is not BL. Somehow the swamp ash got started with a good friend of mine anytime we were undecided on a tree I just started telling him it was swamp ash.

The split looks like red oak. What does it smell like?

Long as its not PINE! :(

Swamp Ash.........honestly not sure what that is, but I am sure it is not BL. Somehow the swamp ash got started with a good friend of mine anytime we were undecided on a tree I just started telling him it was swamp ash.
Swamp ash seems to sneak up on some people in the warmer months........I choose to stay as far away from people with swamp ash as I can!! ;lol

Reactions: Redlegs
Now that's knowing your wood.
Maybe a little too well. ==c
I'm no expert, but Red and Black Oak are some of the most common trees in these woods...

Reactions: Applesister
Those small rounds look like ash The fungi usually is found on ash.
The tell tale of red oak is the aroma!! Give it the smell test. Red oak is very distinctive;)

The second pic is definitely red oak - that's what 90% of my stacks are. Not sure about pics 1 and 3, but they are definitely not locust. I'm thinking another type of oak, but that is only a guess. RO burns great, get it split and stacked as soon as possible. In your climate if you can let it go for 2 years that would be much better than burning it next winter.

Reactions: Redlegs
Surely looks like red oak to me.

Thats red oak for sure, I cut up a red oak and different parts of the tree has different looking bark, it all looks exactly like mine did.

That is red oak. It is not any other kind of wood. It is red oak. Red oak. Oak...red.

No way locust, looks like some sort of pine wood to me, there is very little core to the wood. Locust is the only way to go
That " core" is insect damage.

That is red oak. It is not any other kind of wood. It is red oak. Red oak. Oak...red.
I respectfully disagree with you, i have cut my fair share of red oak, and never had bark that looked like that. Did some research, Ponderosa pine, is my final answer. Guy that started this thread, do you live in ponderosa pine growth area. The cor eof the wood is called the "pith".

Pith is the very center, first year growth of the tree. Without more to go on the dark moisture laden center there is ROT, and we do not for sure know the cause...bugs or...... This is without question a specie of RED OAK.

Status
Not open for further replies.