I scored after work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zknowlto

Aug 1, 2009
Lansing, MI
I happened to catch an CL ad during my lunch break today and stopped over at the guy's house after work. He said this wood had been at the house when he purchased it about a year ago. A few pieces were a little punky, but I took all that I could fit into the car and think I ended up with about a third of a cord. The owner didn't have any idea about the species, but I'm guessing ash based on the density of the wood (really easy to split, pretty dense) and what I think are ash borer marks in many of the pieces. Anyone think otherwise?

th_DSCN0333.jpg

th_DSCN0331.jpg

th_DSCN0330.jpg

Free wood is free BTU's. The splits in the last photo look sound. It should burn great for you. I have no idea what you've got there, however. Nice score!

Definitely firewood...good work day score.

Ash Borer galleries will go in an "S" shape, what is call serpentine. It is a very elongated "S." There are other borer's that get into ash like the Bronze Birch Borer or Two-Lined Chestnut Borer. I couldn't say for sure by the pictures, but my initial impression was that the wood isn't ash, and the galleries were not made by the ash borer. However, none of this should diminish the joy of free cut and split firewood!

Bark in the last picture kinda looks like red oak to me.

only on this forum does "I scored after work" mean you got more firewood.....

that being said. Nice haul.

P.S. I scored before work today.

Too difficult to tell by the pictures but I agree it does not look like ash.

btw, Uper, that is the first time I've heard about an S shape. All ours is as they said it would be and that is more of a D shape from the emerald ash borer.

Rdust and Papadave: Red oak eh? It did seem a little different than the Ash I've dealt with in the past. Specifically the color seemed a little off and the interior of the wood was straight up wet to the touch and off the chart for my moisture meter. I'm interested in checking the moisture of some of the pieces that have already cracked open on the edges, though I suspect that the interior is not even going to be close to ready.

Uper: I didn't realize that the ash borer galleries were S-shaped. When I get a chance, I want to check out the ash borer trails on some my other firewood to confirm this.

Thanks for the info all!

I really love your cat skin rug!

fire_N_ice said:
Hillarious, combined with that avatar!

Dennis, what I was referring to on the ash borer is the galleries that the larvae make under the bark being "S" shaped. They do this while they are going through their larval stages. When they go into the pre-pupal stage they will bore a little bit into the sapwood, about half-and half into the sapwood and cambium layer. Then they develop into an adult and emerge through the bark. The "D" shape you are referring to is what the adult beetle makes upon emergence from the wood. I usually look for the galleries on a dead ash tree. On living trees you can look for the things like crown dieback (loss of leaves in the top center part of the tree), bark splits, young shoots on the lower trunk, woodpecker damage, and of course the "D" shaped exit holes.

Danno77 said:
only on this forum does "I scored after work" mean you got more firewood.....

that being said. Nice haul.

I was thinking the same thing

I saw the thread title and immediately thought that I might brag online but would not ever come in the door saying that to my wife. :roll:

Uper said:
fire_N_ice said:

Dennis, what I was referring to on the ash borer is the galleries that the larvae make under the bark being "S" shaped. They do this while they are going through their larval stages. When they go into the pre-pupal stage they will bore a little bit into the sapwood, about half-and half into the sapwood and cambium layer. Then they develop into an adult and emerge through the bark. The "D" shape you are referring to is what the adult beetle makes upon emergence from the wood. I usually look for the galleries on a dead ash tree. On living trees you can look for the things like crown dieback (loss of leaves in the top center part of the tree), bark splits, young shoots on the lower trunk, woodpecker damage, and of course the "D" shaped exit holes.

Ah Uper, you are referring to the roadmap they leave. lol

Ashborerdamage-1.gif

Backwoods Savage said:
Uper said:
fire_N_ice said:

Ah Uper, you are referring to the roadmap they leave. lol

Ashborerdamage-1.gif

You have no idea of how depressing it is to see that ash killed like that . . . I really hope the powers that be can come up with something to save the ash . . . I love that wood and there is a lot of it on the family land . . . I would hate to see the ash die off this way.

Well, sad to say, I do know how depressing it is seeing all that ash dead or dieing. Sometimes I get to where I just don't want to go to the areas of our woods where all the ash is. But, it happens and that is why I have been cutting almost all ash for the last 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.