I see daylight thru the newly installed thimble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
Just had the new Harmon XXV free standing stove partly installed yesturday. Where the 4 inch pipe slides thru, I can see day light from inside the house. I am going to assume that the installer did not caulk around the pipe.... correct me if I am wrong.

My question is what kind of cualk do I buy? I will guess a hi temp type, right? Do they make these hi temp caulks in black and silver colors? Will these hi temp caulks stand up to outdoor climates?

Use high temp rtv sealant on the outside thimble only. I've seen red, black and clear.

Use high temp rtv sealant on the outside thimble only. I've seen red, black and clear.

When you say to use the high temp rtv sealant on the outside thimble only, you mean the thimble on the outside of the house, right?
What do I do about the gap on the inside of house portion of thimble?

The gap on the inside portion of thimble(inside of house) is for heat to escape??? Heat to escape out of the house? Hat does not make sense to me.
Heat to escape out of the thimble and back into the house.

So, I’m thinking, when you install a thimble that accommodates single wall stove pipe through the thumble, the stove pipe should not fit snugly in the thimble. What amount of clearance should there be around the single wall stove pipe?

Depends on the manufacturer mine is sealed to the pipe on inside of house via clamp and the outside is a tight fit no clamp.. I sealed around pipe with silicone inside and out and then sealed to the house with normal household calking. You should be seeing 0 daylight

Mine is double wall pipe and i sealed the area around the pipe with high temp silicone. Are you using single wall vent pipe?

Supposed to be double wall to meet code. Thats why there’s a gap

You can get high temp rtv in several colors. Just go look at the auto parts store. Copper, blue, red, black, grey, etc. clear of black would look best and for crying out loud do a clean install. I hate seeing a fat finger mark slipping in way too much sealant.

Don't use the blue stuff. It turns solid as a rock when heated at flue temps. I learned this the hard way. It made later servicing a real pain.

Sorry, which form should be used?
The main Hearth Forum is for wood stoves and fireplaces. You already have multiple postings in the main hearth forum on this topic.