I sense a big bore kit may be in my future

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longstreet

Feeling the Heat
Mar 14, 2014
Atlanta
Not the cleanest dcs 6401 around, but I think it still represents a decent value if I add a BBK. From everything I've read, sounds like the kits from weedeaterman are pretty good, so I will probably end up going there. Just don't see the OEM kits being worth more money.
20160120_174448.jpg
Would you guys go with a 24" or 28" bar when I upgrade? I do plan on milling with this saw on an Alaskan mill, so I have to balance that in as well.

My saw lineup isn't anywhere as cool as many of yours, but for a Southern boy with a comparatively small heating need, I think I've done ok.
20160120_174521.jpg

I'd buy whichever bar you see being most useful; with the larger top end, either should work fine..The conventional wisdom is that the oiler is the limiting factor, and that it doesn't do so well beyond 28".

Reactions: TreePointer
I just rebuilt a 6421 Home Depot rental straight gasser, but went with OEM 79cc. I'm running a 28" bar but have seen these oil fine up to 32".

I'd buy whichever bar you see being most useful; with the larger top end, either should work fine..The conventional wisdom is that the oiler is the limiting factor, and that it doesn't do so well beyond 28".

You, my good sir, win the award for highest number of saws per cord. I'm seriously jealous right now. Do you count chain saws instead of sheep at night? I love how you don't seem to have any diehard brand loyalty either - just pick the best saw at the best price.

I just rebuilt a 6421 Home Depot rental straight gasser, but went with OEM 79cc. I'm running a 28" bar but have seen these oil fine up to 32".

Any specific reasons you went with the 7900 OEM P&C kit instead of a BBK? Everything I've read seems to say they are almost identical in end performance. The 79cc OEM kit runs at a little higher compression to slightly exceed the performance of the 84cc BBK, but it does so at $80-100 more. I'm willing to pay the higher price it makes a big difference.

Reactions: TreePointer
I love how you don't seem to have any diehard brand loyalty either - just pick the best saw at the best price.

Dolmar ( Makita) is without a doubt the best value in all sizes of saws. Every bit as well built, and every bit as capable as any other saw, at significantly less money.

I've owned a Dolmar 421. Case in point. German made saw, 42cc pro built with magnesium cases, superb construction, superb AV, adjustable oiler for $300 bucks out the door. I've also owned a Stihl ms250 same size saw, plastic clamshell design, poor AV, non adjustable oiler that didn't oil enough, for $350. The only good thing about that MS250 ( when compared to the Dolmar ) was the resale value. The Stihl name sells even if the product is average ( ms 250 ). Don't get me wrong the ms 250 was ok for what it was , but far to expensive for what it was.

The only problem I see with Dolmar / Makita saws is a lack of dealer support in most areas.

Nice saw by the way.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Why thanks. I didn't set out to impress anyone, but... I actually have more than are in my signature line. It's been a while since I updated it.

I had a 6401 a couple of years ago, and did the OEM 79cc upgrade. In my case it was mostly a matter of being confident in the quality of the kit.

Any specific reasons you went with the 7900 OEM P&C kit instead of a BBK? Everything I've read seems to say they are almost identical in end performance. The 79cc OEM kit runs at a little higher compression to slightly exceed the performance of the 84cc BBK, but it does so at $80-100 more. I'm willing to pay the higher price it makes a big difference.

I personally prefer to use as many OEM parts as possible when I do a rebuild. The kit cost $200 and that included shipping. It comes with a cylinder cover as well which is matte black, not gray. I got the saw for free as well so did not mind the extra $ for OEM. While I did not by the kit at a dealer, I am lucky to have one about 20 mins away where I could order or buy miscellaneous parts that I needed.

image.jpg

I'd go oem but that's just me. Nothing wrong with the am I've heard good things about them. It'll be a little nose heavy with a 28" unless you go with a light bar. .058 or .063 gauge will carry the oil better than .050. Just something to keep in mind if you end up wanting to go longer than 28".

Status
Not open for further replies.