I shoulda been a plumber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Well 30 miles down the road the other night on way to a job the next day. The OL calls and asks where the water shut off is................
I say.... WHY??????? The upstairs pipe to the toilet is leaking and spraying all over. #$^^%$#@@@$%$&**& I try for 15 minutes to explain where in the basement the shut off valve is for that pipe. Neighbors wife comes over, starts talking about water heater......... #$@%^&*(&&^%$#, DON'T TOUCH THE WATER HEATER!!!!!!!!
I turn around, and start back, growling and cursing. Can't get the OL to look up and see the valve. She gets upset and hangs up the phone.
Neighbor calls 2 minutes later, "where valve"......... I see it, ok leaks stopped. I turn back around again, and start heading south again. I say" thanks man" to the neighbor,
and "lemme talk to the OL", ok see ya, "thanks again man".......... I'm soryy honey, it was just frustrating trying to get you to see the valve....."I'm sorry too, I was also frustrated, and you were yelling at me".

Welp, pex & Shark Bite fittings do yet another fine job. Took all of about 5-10 minutes.
I hate the previous homeowner!!!!!!!!!!! But love pex & Shark Bites!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh the worst part of it all................... The kids were told NOT to use that bathroom.
I get my head down near the valve & pipe near floor.............. someone used the toilet to Pee in all weeeeeekkk!!!!!!!!!!!! Without being able to flush.
I was again not a happy camper.
The thought of being alone is looking better & better.

Hog,
...I think just about everyone has a story (or two) like this one... "Ain't life grand sometimes???" Funny how things work out sometimes??? Hey, look at it this way though:
....At least the OL took into account you were "on the road" and calmed down enough and even "apologized"... That in and of it's self at least means "this incident won't be 're-hashed' later in the future(don't ya' just love the times you "you never hear the end of it"...least it sounds like a 'dead issue' from the OL's point of view)"... just something to "keep in mind"...

So it looks like you got some more plumbing to do????

Hogwildz said:
I was again not a happy camper

...Just look forward to sitting by the fire soon and relaxing with a favorite beverage... :coolsmirk:

.....drains......

Hog...

Just "keep your head up"...old house "are a peach sometimes". Get the plumbing nightmare all fixed up and then take some time to un-wind.

Hogwildz said:
Welp, pex & Shark Bite fittings do yet another fine job. Took all of about 5-10 minutes.

I'm "feeling you" on both those statements. I inherited some horribly messy plumbing configurations from our previous owner. Lots of copper -> PVC-> Copper and back....none of it looks to be professionally done. I have been gradually replacing parts of it with PEX and Shark Bites. Can't say enough good things about that stuff. Before I found out about PEX I spent several frustrating hours trying to install new copper in areas, but had a terrible time getting all the water out of the lines.
The Shark Bite fittings are a little pricey, but well worth it.

Hogz-
All the work and only 1 leak- you're doing fine.
Just a suggestion for anyone looking to cut costs. Try CPVC- specifically Flowguard Gold. One step glue. It is not flexible like pex, so it is more involved, but I love the stuff.

Bob

Thanks guys,
Was just venting a lil wee bit.
The repair was done last weekend, and actually DID NOT turn into 5 other repair jobs ;)
The house is CPCV with the exceptions of where I have repaired & added plumbing. I will continue with the PEX & Shark Bite fittings as needed.
I just get upset cause the house is super old. Early 90's for main house, 2003 for garage & 2004 for breezeway, which is where the addition is being made.
Garage has no plumbing or electrical. Did have to redo the shingles in the valleys of the roof on garage. Previous homeowner though 1/2" overlap of the shingles along with muck down the seam was enough for a good roof. Well it started leaking and was the first major repair on the place. Had to tear out illegal and shoddy wiring in the breezeway. So these two areas a re up to snuff.
Now just dealing with crap in the main part of house as it happens.
Got another wall up in the office section of the breezeway this weekend after I fixed the plumbing and cut the grass round the house and the field out front near the barn.
I have zero time to relax, but some day it will come. At least this work is keeping my crap for a back & neck a lil more limber.
I am trudging on , hopefully another wall will be done this weekend. Time is running short, so might be sleeping on the couch for another 6 months or year. Oh well.
All in all, I still love my house.

I am still trying to decide if the brass nipple pipe froze over last winter or not. Didn't run heat much other than insert.
But from last winter to now, seems a long time. Another reason I went with the pex. I might end up putting some pipe heat tape on these pipes just in case.
I can also say, thank got for no ceiling in that closet. Its actually a closet inside a larger closet. I think I will leave it without a ceiling to let the air circulate around better.
So anyways here a couple photos of the new repair.

And yes I still have mouldings & such, prolly a new floor for this bathroom to do. I am going to wait till the kids are older though, as they are trashing stuff faster than I can repair.

Attachments

• pex repair below.JPG
    pex repair below.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 459
  • pex repair top.JPG
    pex repair top.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 451
Hogwildz said:
Well 30 miles down the road the other night on way to a job the next day. The OL calls and asks where the water shut off is................
I say.... WHY??????? The upstairs pipe to the toilet is leaking and spraying all over. #$^^%$#@@@$%$&**& I try for 15 minutes to explain where in the basement the shut off valve is for that pipe. Neighbors wife comes over, starts talking about water heater......... #$@%^&*(&&^%$#, DON'T TOUCH THE WATER HEATER!!!!!!!!
I turn around, and start back, growling and cursing. Can't get the OL to look up and see the valve. She gets upset and hangs up the phone.
Neighbor calls 2 minutes later, "where valve"......... I see it, ok leaks stopped. I turn back around again, and start heading south again. I say" thanks man" to the neighbor,
and "lemme talk to the OL", ok see ya, "thanks again man".......... I'm soryy honey, it was just frustrating trying to get you to see the valve....."I'm sorry too, I was also frustrated, and you were yelling at me".

Oh the worst part of it all................... The kids were told NOT to use that bathroom.
I get my head down near the valve & pipe near floor.............. someone used the toilet to Pee in all weeeeeekkk!!!!!!!!!!!! Without being able to flush.
I was again not a happy camper.

Try working for a public utility. 2000 OL'S Why is their water in my yard, broken main lady. Why are you taking out my tree .Mains under tree lady. Why don't I have water in the house , shut off main lady(why) main leaks lady. That's a big hole, can't you get out of that machine and dig by hand, no lady it's 6 feet down and 3 feet of frost and I have been out since 3 am . You guys are lazy. We have done 3 main breaks today lady. You should have done 6. Go in the house lady. I'm Calling the MAYOR . Fine Lady@#@$#

Makes a guy want to sit infront of the wood stove and drink BEER !!

I hear ya, went through a bunch of that crap when roofing. ON a nice 95 degree day dying on roof, while homeowner sits in a chair under a tree drinking ice tea watching the whole time. Or swimming in their pool. The few ladies that came out in barely nothing or nighties, and were worth looking at was a nice bonus from time to time.

95 Degree's on a roof is about as bad as it gets. I bet no offers of water or pop . In my job it seems the women are the worst. I had a nice old man (looked 90) talk to us when we were fixing his water service (frozen ) He made a comment that he loved sitting infront of a fire now after working outside all his life. He then said he has not cleaned his chimmny in 4 years, to hard to get on the roof. I went over after work and cleaned it for him. He invited me to have a beer with him so I did, then another, then we'll just say after 2 hours of good stories and beer I left with my head spinning and he was still drinking. He is a great old man. they don't make them like that anymore.
Their are still some great people out there!!!

That's a good looking house you got, nice property!!

older people are the best- they are usually very happy to have someone to chat with- pay what you ask, in cash, and usually thank you for coming to help them-

njtomatoguy said:
older people are the best- they are usually very happy to have someone to chat with- pay what you ask, in cash, and usually thank you for coming to help them-

I didn't charge him. I like to help out nice people.

Status
Not open for further replies.