I smell smoke...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
But I know why. Today we are in an unusual weather pattern with very steady northeast winds at about 15+mph; temps are in the high 30's. There are lots of whitecaps out on Puget Sound and I see a few branches got blown down overnight, so it's been pretty gusty at times.

Our flue is on the downslope of the northside roof. There is plenty of pipe, about 7ft above the roof to meet code, but to the west, there is a shed dormer. The wind direction and pressure appears to be just enough to cause turbulence and pressure around the flue. I slept in today and this morning's start was with a cold stove. Until the stove got hot, it was balky starting and would spill smoke when the door was opened.

Fortunately this is a pretty rare condition around here. Our prevailing winter winds are from the southwest. Now that the stove is hot, as long as I open the door a crack, let it equalize, then open it slowly, the smoke spillage has stopped. I won't be changing anything because this is quite rare. But it does show how when conditions are right you can get smoke out of the stove that normally is just fine. If you aren't paying attention to what is happening outside, you might think something is wrong with the stove, but there isn't. When these anomalies occur, pay attention to what is happening outside too. Every day is a new fire and a new burning adventure.

Sounds like some good info BeGreen. Thanks....We have a wind warning here in Pa. today. Gusts up to 60 miles per hour.

Yep. It was in the forties when I woke up and chilly in the house because the stove stayed cold all yesterday and last night. I had a small load ready to light for when I got up and blew it off. 55 mile an hour winds and not cold outside would just make for a mess. So I went with the heaters. Of course because of the wind the power has gone out three times already today.

You folks have had some major winds today. Took down the National Christmas Tree. We would probably lose power with those winds too.

Status
Not open for further replies.