I started burning and I just can't stop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrated

Feeling the Heat
Dec 8, 2009
Maryland
For now, my only woodstove is in my semi-attached garage just installed this past November. I started out burning only on days off and weekends to have a warm garage if I was going to be tinkering in it. Well when the mid atlantic got hit with all the snow, I started a fire in the stove the evening before the storm hit, and now I can't let it go out. Its been burning for a month straight.

There isn't really a need for it to be burning when I'm not in there so mostly a stray cat that we pretty much took in is benefiting from the heat. Her along with my Kubota are staying warm. For some reason, I don't want the stove to go cold. Its nice to walk out there and have the garage be warm. The only negative is that I've used all of my most seasoned wood up. I was out today cutting some 2-3 inch rounds from branch tops that have been down a year. The pine I have is to wet burn right now.

trailrated said:
For now, my only woodstove is in my semi-attached garage just installed this past November. I started out burning only on days off and weekends to have a warm garage if I was going to be tinkering in it. Well when the mid atlantic got hit with all the snow, I started a fire in the stove the evening before the storm hit, and now I can't let it go out. Its been burning for a month straight.

There isn't really a need for it to be burning when I'm not in there so mostly a stray cat that we pretty much took in is benefiting from the heat. Her along with my Kubota are staying warm. For some reason, I don't want the stove to go cold. Its nice to walk out there and have the garage be warm. The only negative is that I've used all of my most seasoned wood up. I was out today cutting some 2-3 inch rounds from branch tops that have been down a year. The pine I have is to wet burn right now.

Step 1. We admitted we were powerless over the cold and that our wood piles had become unmanageable.
Step 2. We came to believe that a power greater than fuel oil could restore us to sanity.
Step 3. Made a decision to turn our warmth and hearth over to the care of our wood stove as we understand it................

NP

You just might be hooked...

Backwoods Savage said:

I think he is. A classic case, right down to the cat acting as an enabler.

Practice this:

"My name is Trail, and I'm a burnaholic."

Seek help now. Woodburning is a gateway activity that can lead to a wasted life filled with vast amounts of tools and vehicles used to support your habit. Next thing you know, you'll be 7 years ahead of your wood needs. Take it from someone who's been there. Thankfully for me, my wife staged an intervention after she found me downstairs lighting up on the 4th of July, running the AC full time just to hide the heat. I'm not completely cured, but I haven't had a summer fire going in the stove for five years now.

I am just glad it is the stove burning. That title had me worried. :p

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Practice this:

Seek help now. Woodburning is a gateway activity that can lead to a wasted life filled with vast amounts of tools and vehicles used to support your habit. Next thing you know, you'll be 7 years ahead of your wood needs. Take it from someone who's been there. Thankfully for me, my wife staged an intervention after she found me downstairs lighting up on the 4th of July, running the AC full time just to hide the heat. I'm not completely cured, but I haven't had a summer fire going in the stove for five years now.

Hahaha. Thats funny

Battenkiller said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Practice this:

My name is Pat, and Im a burnaholic. Hey trail I think we could enable each other!

HEY!! I Resemble that remark!!

So - Where are you going to put the new flue for the inside of the house?

Welcome to the fellowship!,
Mike P

someone needs a intervention...get that inside...feel the warmth

zzr7ky said:
HEY!! I Resemble that remark!!

So - Where are you going to put the new flue for the inside of the house?

Welcome to the fellowship!,
Mike P

I had a LP gas water heater chimney that went thru a chase in the center of my house. My plan is to use a Simpson Class A chimneys system. Utilizing a close clearance shields in my chase.

My wife caught me staring at my woodpiles on Saturday. I felt as if she had caught me with another woman.

I had just finished stacking the wood I had split a few weeks before and was just taking a short break and happened to look over at the wood. I swear I wasn't staring at those beautiful, bountiful stacks of wood . . . but perhaps I leared too long and my wife just happened to see me looking at the wood with lust in my eyes . . . and I never even knew she was there until she opened the front door and yelled, "Are you staring at that wood? That's not normal."

Yeah, I'm an addict . . . please direct me to the nearest Wood Burners Anonymous Meeting. I need help.

firefighterjake said:
My wife caught me staring at my woodpiles on Saturday. I felt as if she had caught me with another woman.

Jake, that's a riot!

I have it twice as bad because not only do I admire the wood piles themselves, I get fixated on particular pieces of firewood. As a long time woodworker, I am constantly scoping out the stacks for interesting chunks of wood. At least your wife only caught you looking at the wood in general. Imagine how mine feels when she catches me caressing an individual piece of figured walnut, or a nice cherry burl. Maybe a split of spalted maple, a white oak crotch or just a perfect round of white ash that I can split in half and turn a few decent salad bowls on the lathe.

And then she finds my secret stashes and acts almost as bad as if they were love letters to my mistress she had discovered, pretending she's going to burn them when I'm not looking. Talk about jealousy!

She'll help me bring wood in when I ask her. She'll pick up a particularly large and gnarly piece to toss it aside for the outside fireplace, and I'll say. "Oh no, put that one on the hand truck." "You've got to be kidding me! That will never fit in the stove." "Well, don't you worry your pretty little head about it... I'll make it fit." Which I eventually do - one scrap at a time.

Then every new season, I'm left with some tough decisions. I only have just so much room for wood storage, particularly odd-size things like firewood splits. So I have to go through some gut-wrenching choices about what to keep and what to burn. This year I had about 20 big halves of plain old ash and cherry that was now too dry to make quick bowls out of. I tossed them over closer to the stove and waited until we had the first really cold day. They were over five years old and stored all that time in a humidity controlled environment. Man, were they ever dry! Talk about some nice heat. But it was kinda like cremating my own dog or something, made me very sad to see them go. Now that space is occupied with this year's fiddleback hickory. And so it goes on...

"My name is Dan, and I'm a woodaholic."

We were without power for nearly 3 days and I was quick to pounce on the stove tending opportunities, revelling in my ability to coax fire from a few paltry morning coals. Our house guest remarked at the "show" inside the Fireview, asking about the strange flames with the bluish cast that were sort of ghostly. We had a couple of very nice days during the outtage and I suggested we fire up the splitter and clean up some rounds that had been sitting around since last fall... I was delighted when the husband agreed. One more cord for the future! Talk about some cheap laughs.

Trail., you have to bring the stove and the cat into the house. Sneaking around in the garage isn't a good sign...

WOW...and spring is coming.

Bobbin said:
Trail., you have to bring the stove and the cat into the house. Sneaking around in the garage isn't a good sign...

Yea, I'm now wishing I installed one in the house this year, but I wasn't ready and the garage was a simpler install. I will be putting one in the house, however, the wife and I are still debating what route we want to take. Either one in the living room, or a wood add on furnace in the basement. I am hoping it would happen for next winter but I'm not sure my wood stash will be ready or I may not have enough wood to be ready. Time will I guess.

Wow! And I thought I was bad, I feel much better now and think there is still hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.