I still have grandfather's first ax...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
... of course I've replaced the handle five times, and the head once.

These people were featured in a recent Popular Mechanics magazine article:
http://trustco.us

As a 50 year veteran of the retail industry, I am always fascinated by what people can find a market for. They apparently seek out pre-1970 ax heads (before US steel production went largely overseas), clean them up, put in a nice handle, make a nice leather sheath to fit, and sell them for $250 plus.

Clear enough so far, but I have to ask a few questions -

1. Since even quality ax heads were often never stamped with the maker's mark, and the few that were would be largely obliterated by time, how on earth can anyone tell "pre-1970" steel?

2. They now are also using electrolysis to "convert rust into iron" on the ax head. It has been a long time since my chemistry classes, but I am not familiar with this process. It sounds..., no, I am just going to say I do not understand.

3. The big one: Why? In what way is a cleaned up 50 - 60 year old ax head with a new sheath and handle worth more than a Council Tool Velvicut Premium Felling ax, or even the standard Dayton model (about $70 with sheath). More than Granfors Bruk's. Quality of steel? Impossible. Finish? No way. Collectibility? What is collectible about what is basically just a used ax?

I do not wish to unfairly criticize anyone's business model, but this is inexplicable to me.

By the way - I do still own three or four of granddad's double bit axes, plus a few others I have picked up at auctions or estate sales. I've never paid more than $2 for one. I'll bet granddad didn't either.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregbesia
At the moment people are looking to a return to American values and simplicity. I'm not surprised there is a market for tools that represent a time when the quality/profit ratio was higher. Never thought of the 70's as a particularly high water mark in American craftsmanship but considering where we are now it makes sense.

A lot of old axes tell a story..

As far as wearing off with time, it takes a REAL long time for stamps to wear off, unless it was abused.

I have a few axes from the early 1900s- 1950s, didn't pay more than a few dollars for any of them. Stamps are clear on most. I wouldn't spend anywhere near 250 for one, but I kinda get the appeal for people with money burning a hole in their pocket.

Electrolysis cannot convert rust back to iron, it can however remove the rust from all the pits in the steel. A grinding wheel/ wire brush is much faster, but also much more labor intense, and it damages the rest of the head.

Any tool is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A person buying something at X price doesn't mean it needs to be sold for the same or more value tomorrow...... they may have made a bad deal.

By looking at their site,,,,, it's nice, but I'd be amazed if they sell enough pieces to make any real profit on what it takes to keep it on the web.

For what they are asking, they need much more info on period axes, which anyone with the same google access that was used to find them, would come across. Additionally, as clean as they are, I was not impressed with the cabinets of old axes that had duct tape on them.

A pretty site does not make for a good business, and I from what I saw, they are overpricing nostalgia in the raw (and in limited quantity I might add) and not showing enough of what a finished product is...... I'm seeing warning flags....

To sum, I saw some bad axes, and some nice axes, but not exactly what I would get out of the axe in the cupboard with the duct tape on it.

In all, my gut says to be very concerned about this place.

In all x2 (after looking through the pretty site, yet again, because I'm mesmerized by the beauty that does not show the quality of restoration, before and after,,, etc) in all , if this place is legit, they need to fire anyone that is involved with thinking this website helps them, as the place is truly lacking what makes their pieces worth the astronomical prices they are listing.

From what I see, this place may be a sale here and there from a well meaning "great-aunt" or "uncle" etc, that is looking for a fine gift with heritage for someone, but the products I see don't make me "trust" them at those rates, and with the lack of info associated with selecting "add to cart" all sums up to a pretty and overpriced internet scam as they are not clearly showing a customer what they will get for their money.

pen

Last edited:
One man's junk is another man's gold. I do not understand why ppl pay millions for a painting that looks like someone just threw paint at a piece of paper. But, alas, they do.

Interesting. I have about 20 axes, all pre WW1, many much older. Never knew they were worth anything. Got a few from the original New Hope Fire Co founding.

Antiques are always somebody's old, used something or other. An antique never has any value like a new object of the same type except that people are willing to pay for age. When I go to any local event that has salvage type tables set up I do not hesitate to buy an old tool that looks functional if I see it at the right price, but if I was in an antique shop I would be looking at prices at least 10 times as high for similar items. People who buy antiques as such seldom are people who will use those tools. They want them for bragging rights and will pay up for that.

The thing that beats me is that they are likely for the most part to be just common hardware store ax heads - whatever they can find. If they were refurbishing some of the classic makers I could understand it, but it appears you take whatever they send you. There are several companies and even individuals that will sell you heirloom quality cutting tools that are less expensive, will work as well or better, would be just as handsome on display, and will hold just as fine or even better edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: pen
They don't make things like they used to. Thank heavens. I like the new stuff.

Reactions: Vikestand and pen
They don't make things like they used to. Thank heavens. I like the new stuff.
You got that right. Anybody that says otherwise is lying to themselves.

There's something to be said for optimization through years of continuous use. I'm sure axe makers of old knew a thing or three about handle and head shapes and weights, that have been forgotten by the axe makers of today.

Where things have surely improved is materials, and steel quality, but how much does that matter in an axe?

There's something to be said for optimization through years of continuous use. I'm sure axe makers of old knew a thing or three about handle and head shapes and weights, that have been forgotten by the axe makers of today.

Where things have surely improved is materials, and steel quality, but how much does that matter in an axe?

I'd say most of that are not 70+ romanticize with the past. I like bring out my great grandfathers fishing reel every now and then, but it still doesn't compare to a new one.

They put more time into their craft then, no doubt. But that doesn't make it a better product. In most cases that will hold true.

Fishing reels are mechanial... hardly a worthy comparison.

Yes, there are some companies out today making fine axes.. but I can also find an old Kelly Perfect head, clean some pitting off, put a new handle on, and it'll be just as good, if not better than any current offering, for a fraction of the price.

Also, seems axe makers now only make the Dayton, Jersey and Hudson Bay patterns.. looking for a Connecticut, Maine or Michigan? Good luck.

Also, seems axe makers now only make the Dayton, Jersey and Hudson Bay patterns.. looking for a Connecticut, Maine or Michigan? Good luck.
Dayton and Connecticut look so close as to difficult to distinguish after a few sharpenings, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.