I think I found the trailer I want

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
I think I found the trailer I want... I shot this photo on a trip to Israel this week and it looks incredible.

The trailer is narrow, tough as nails and tilts with a hydraulic cylinder.

Attachments

• Tractor and trailer.jpg
    Tractor and trailer.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 553
That looks like my little dump without fenders and lights. Most don't seem to like single axle trailers but I find they maneuver well in tight quarters and you can pull them around with a small tractor like a yard cart. They do however kinda suck when you lose a tire at highway speed with a cord plus loaded. That is when I learned what load rating is...

It would be great on a tractor in muccy conditions as it will put 90% of the weight on the tongue and on the rear tires of the tractor. But it might rip the hitch off of a pickup truck.

Billy

GST... Yes, that would be an add on at the border.... Not to mention the cost of shipping something like this to Canada :) since no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get that trailer as my second piece of luggage coming home.

I should have clarified the reason why I would love this trailer, or why I would consider making one like it...... I have unlimited wood within 2 miles of my yard and I would only be using our tractor to pull it. The narrow set up would be ideal in the bush I cut in.

Bottom line is that I do have a little trailer, I have a half ton truck box trailer, and access to a 4x4 half ton. Oh, and I have an older quad that I need to get running again. I just need to use what I have and I will be fine. We have loads of manpower on our yard as my in-laws, who live on our acreage with us, love cutting wood and my kids are old enough to stack wood. When we get at it we have an 8 person firewood crew.

My biggest challenge right now with my firewood stacks is getting a ton of rounds split that I am behind on. One of these days the Split-Fire from the rental store will be coming for a sleepover and a marathon session. If my estimate are correct right now I have between 10 and 13 cords in rounds on the yard right now.

I am keeping my eye open for a splitter of my own but I cannot justify the cost of a purchase when I can rent the Split Fire for $50 for 24 hours. It is frustrating to not be able have a splitter on the yard for use an hour or two at a time any time I want. When one is behind schedule when living in the country it seems that you might never catch up.

Once I get what I have on the yard split and stacked then I can get the trailer and tractor moving on the dozens of cords of standing and fallen dead ash and poplar. Add to this the ongoing supply of box elder (and at least three cords of a type of wood that I am not allowed to "legally store and burn" that is already on my 2 yard) and I have no need to break even the one mile mark for my firewood supply.

A project like this trailer is something that I will keep my eye out for part and pieces that will fit the bill over time. If I see the right axle, cylinder, etc then I will consider building it.

Oh right.... I also have a "buzz-saw" mandrel run by a tractor pulley that I bought for dirt cheap that I have never used in three years...... Time to get moving on cleaning off my un-used projects :) .... before I start into new ones....

lowroadacres said:
When we get at it we have an 8 person firewood crew...
Ja, hard to justify buying a splitter when you have an 8 person crew to have at it on the rental.

I work alone. :long:

With that many hands, you don't need a trailer. They could just carry out the wood.

A retired manure spreader may provide you the right axle/clearance/width you are looking for.

The trailer looks like a military surplus trailer . There are guys selling them for 600 bucks .
I'm not sure if they dump .

You are right in saying that it look military surplus.

With our manpower the challenge is getting everyone focused on one job at a time.

Until recently the in-laws lived on a farm where they heated their home with an outside boiler and they would go out in a long afternoon to cut wood.

Using a fairly large tractor and a hay trailer they would bring home a one and a half cord load in four foot lengths. Given the inefficiency of the boiler and the fact that the forced air draft "allowed" the use of green wood they went through 12-14 cords every winter.

Not bad for folks who are 72 and 70.

I spent some time in Israel and was fascinated by the narrow tractors and trailers tractors that were made for the very narrow alleys and streets of the Old City. They would go through the streets and alleys every night to pick up the garbage. I asked about them and they were purpose made by Holder of Germany. That tractor and trailer look similar, except I don't recall seeing any cabs on these tractors. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.