I think I have been converted...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenG

Oct 14, 2009
NH Seacost
I am just about ready to join the "right tool for the right job" team of pellet stove cleaners. I want to get an ash vac. First year I had the stove I cleaned it by hand, brushing all the ash own into the ash pan and taking it out that way. This year I decided I would buy a small shopvac to make my life easier, it did, but after a year of sucking ash this little shop vac has about had it. Not to mention that even venting the vac outside I still have dust everywhere. Now my question is...When is the best time to buy a ash vac? I have seen a lot of talk on the forums about which vacs are good, but when would there be the best prices. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

I'm not sure many retailers discount those Cougar vacs... but I don't pay a lot of attention either.

I use a small one gallon Shop-Vac and use the "drywall" filter... keeps all the dust inside the vac when it's being used.... no more cloud of dust when I fire it up.

We just started selling the Hearth Country vacs. We retail em here for $199 each and I have done some ebay direct shipping at $179 each free freight. Folks seem to like them. My technician uses a Cougar and loves the heck out of it, but they were retailing for more money.

BenG said:
I am just about ready to join the "right tool for the right job" team of pellet stove cleaners. I want to get an ash vac. First year I had the stove I cleaned it by hand, brushing all the ash own into the ash pan and taking it out that way. This year I decided I would buy a small shopvac to make my life easier, it did, but after a year of sucking ash this little shop vac has about had it. Not to mention that even venting the vac outside I still have dust everywhere. Now my question is...When is the best time to buy a ash vac? I have seen a lot of talk on the forums about which vacs are good, but when would there be the best prices. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Were you using a HEPA filter on the shop-vac? I have had a $39.99 shop-vac for three years and I am still using the same original filter. I use it 3 times as week for the entire heating season and have had no problems whatsoever. I have even loaned it to the neighbors to clean out their fireplaces in the spring. I never get any dust so if you were using a HEPA filter something was wrong with it. Sure would love a $200 Mercedes ash vac but I chose to settle for the wal-mart version that does the job just as well for less than 1/4 of the cost.

I hear tons of people say they use shop vacs just fine. Most folks who own homes already own a shop vac. I just ask them to try the shop vac first and if they don't like it, come buy the ash vac.

I been using the Kirby. No problems with dust yet.

The typical shop vac that I`m familiar with (I have two) does in fact emit a cloud of fine dust that can get thru the paper/cloth filter that fits over the sponge. I had to modify mine to make it dust proof by adding a secondary filter on the exhaust port.
Some of the later models will accept a hepa filter or a drywall filter. If I was in need of one I`d be looking for the drywall type filter. I see little to no advantage spending $200+ just to suck up cold ashes.

That's all I ever used. The drywall filter worked very well on the ShopVac. For an extra measure, one could rig up a water-trap filter in a 5 gallon bucket.

I use a small 3 gallon shop-vac to clean my stove. I put it outside, and then attach an extension hose to it and that way no ash or dust gets inside the house. Has worked fine for me so far and has saved me lots of moola.

I use an el cheapo genuine imitation shop-type vac with a hose taken from a dead vac on the outlet. To this I add a wet sock. Go ahead and laugh, it works. I minimize using a vac at all by cleaning as much of the stove as possible with the combustion fan running, or using a leaf blower. I find I'm getting a lot less dirty this year.

Souzafone said:
To this I add a wet sock. Go ahead and laugh, it works.

Sounds weird, but I'm sure people have done much stranger stuff then that! :cheese:

I have a Cheetah ash vac. It's nice that it won't catch fire if I happen to vac up a stray ember.

CygnusX1 said:
I have a Cheetah ash vac. It's nice that it won't catch fire if I happen to vac up a stray ember.

No doubt it for the extra money it does indeed allow for a step up level of safety but if you are vacuuming up stray embers it can also be an indication the pellets are not completely burning in your stove or you are not waiting long enough for the embers to cool.

I just use a Hoover upright vac that has a hose attachment. Bought a hepa type bag for it and don't have any problems with dust, ash comming out. I do shut the stove down for an hour and a half before I clean the stove though. That seems to be plenty of time for the pellets that were left in the stove to burn up and everything to cool down. I take my hand and check if there is any question in my mind if cold or not. Good part is house stays pretty warm only once in a while the furnace has kicked on and for such a short time its no big deal. Just going to have to remember not to hurry getting at cleaning the stove or I will have a burnt up vac.

you are not waiting long enough for the embers to cool.
thats why he has the Cheetah ash vac . so he dont have to let it cool .the ash vac is rated for 1000 degrees and well worth the money cheetah ash vac[/quote]

To clean my stoves, I've used a wet/dry vac (construction grade) with the same drywall dust filter for over 10 years. I give the vac and filter a quick clean after each use, then every spring I give them both a thorough cleaning.

That same vac and filter has also seen me through numerous construction jobs and renos and is still going strong.

Pour Kesslers over ice, remove/clean vent cap and brush out the horizontal leg, sip Kesslers, hook up leaf blower, sip Kesslers, turn on leaf blower, sip Kesslers, break down firebox and clean, sip Kesslers, rod out cavities, sip Kesslers, remove combustion fan clean fins and clean out cavities, sip Kesslers, lube exposed moving parts, sip kesslers, reinstall fan, refill glass with ice and Kesslers, drop cap off of tee and brush out vent piping, reinstall cap, sip Kesslers, remove room fan and clean, sip Kesslers, reinstall room fan. Stand up, scratch head, sit on stool, sip Kesslers, reassemble fire box, clean glass, refill hopper, wipe down stove, power up the stove.

Running the leaf blower the entire time sure helps keep the dust out of my glass of Kesslers! I also use a shop vac, to clean up what the leaf blower cannot pick up. I keep the filter clean by knocking the filter on the tree in the front yard, hosing it down, and hanging it up to dry before the next use.

Status
Not open for further replies.