I think I hit the Jackpot today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
I found out on wednesday that one of the guys I go to church with has a tree trimming service that he works part time (licensed insured and doing it for 25+ years) and so I decided to have him over to look at 4 trees that are literally growing over my house at this point. So to make a long story short he is going to take down one massize oak and 4 big hickory trees for $250 which includes climbing them taking the tops out and dropping them. As he is standing there looking around at my stack and stack of firewood he says I take it you burn wood so how would you be interested in me dropping off all my bucked wood to whatever length you want it. i'm standing there shocked stuttering Uhhh I guess that would be fine.... Eventually we hop in his truck and he takes me to his house where he has about 6 cords of bucked wood stacked up and says this is from the last two years and I haven't been able to sell any of it and I have no desire to buy a splitter and start splitting it I can make sure I stack it a little bit nicer for you and to top it off he was figuring that he would have even more this year than last year. The best part is he doesn't want to drop the branches off he said he would pile them and burn them at his house. I'm still a little bit shocked Hopefully I will be able to share some of this wood with some of the elderly at our church as I am currently sitting on about 10 cords already (with probably 3 more in the trees I am taking down) and burning roughly 3.5 per year.

Well, did you ever see that episode of "Seinfeld" where Uncle Enzo (the barber) suspects his nephew of secretly cutting Jerry's hair so he sends Neuman out to get a sample of Jerry's hair? I'll say to you what Enzo said to Neuman when he brought the sample back:

"Oh, you done good Certified" lol...

And kudos on wanting to share it with the elderly. You might want to pinch yourself to make sure it isn't just a great dream....you really struck gold if it plays out like he promises!!!

Don't see how it could get sweeter than that! Nice.

Wow. I would give just about anything for a deal like that (well...not anything). To not have to scrounge and buck,and haul loads around this God-forsaken island all the time would be a dream come true. it's like the oil man making a delivery, but for free, and THANKING YOU for the trouble. Awesome ,bro. Just awesome. :coolsmile:

Take all you can get. Split as much as you can, when you can. Never hurts to be a few years ahead.

certified106, just that price alone for taking down those trees is awesome! Then getting more firewood?! That has to be like winning the lottery. And I do hope you find some you can help out whether they are elderly or just in need. It is good to help others.

Holy crap that is awesome! :coolsmile:

To quote Billy Ray Valentine in Trading Places, "This happens to me every week" Actually, no, it doesn't, and my back is sore from bucking and lifting. Congrats on a great deal, and may pizza and beer be in your immediate future.

Backwoods Savage said:
certified106, just that price alone for taking down those trees is awesome! Then getting more firewood?! That has to be like winning the lottery. And I do hope you find some you can help out whether they are elderly or just in need. It is good to help others.

Thanks Dennis, I couldn't believe the price on getting the trees cut down either. I have been putting off getting it done just because of the quotes I have heard from other people but it is past time to have it done as two of them have big branches hanging at least 10 ft over the roof.

Sounds like a case or two of his favorite drinkable thank you's is in order!

I'm happy for you and those you will share all that wood with! Great piece of luck. A little puzzled about the price for taking those trees down, but I haven't seen em. Climbers should make $100/hour for the risk alone (in my opinion--and I'm biased). But, again, you would really have to look at them to estimate a fair price. If he does a good job, and if I could, I'd throw him some more money.

certified106 said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Thanks Dennis, I couldn't believe the price on getting the trees cut down either. I have been putting off getting it done just because of the quotes I have heard from other people but it is past time to have it done as two of them have big branches hanging at least 10 ft over the roof.

I recall a few years ago when a neighbor had some white pines that needed to come down because they were leaning right toward the house. I figured he and I could do the job but he felt better hiring it done. His first quote I believe was from $400 - $500 per tree. He ended up getting a little discount because he had 3 trees (I think it was 3) taken down. But this was only felling the trees. We had to cut them up and clean up the mess. Now, I'm betting you are really aware of your tremendous bargain now! lol

Keep smiling!

Status
Not open for further replies.