I think I need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gboutdoors

Burning Hunk
Nov 21, 2013
S.E. Massachusetts
Ok I am sitting in my tree stand right now bow hunting for deer in my back woods. But all I can see are all the dead standing oaks and how much I like cutting/splitting, and stacking wood.

I have 15 cord c/s/s enough for the next 3 winters. I think I may need an intervention. :)

Two does came by not quite close enough for a good shot but who cares LOOK AT ALL THOSE TREES TO CUT.

Pick your battles. I tend to choose the nicest ones and focus on them. In general, looking at wood that I truly want to throw in the stove and would hate to see go to the birds as habitat.

Or, maybe start selling some? Or heck, get 4 years ahead!

yeah its funny how you start noticing dead trees once you have a wood stove. I have enough in my back yard for 3 or 4 yrs and im still cutting like a mad man. Course i don't know where my next wood is coming from after im done cutting on the property im cutting now so that adds to the urgency a bit.

Reactions: nmcqueen469
I'd rather see you cut down the dead standing trees than hunt the deer . . . unless you actually use all the deer meat for food. But that's just me (I don't hunt, except in the grocery store for beef, chicken, etc.).

You're priorities are all wrong! It's deer season now, c/s/s later. If you need an intervention let me know and I'll head out and sit in the tree next to you.

f v

You're a sick man! You sould feel right at home here with the rest of us nutz! ;lol

I'm the opposite, I'm always a little sad when I see an oak or hickory or walnut tree being cut down. I think of all the nuts they provide to make the deer and squirrels more plump and delicious!

I'll happily take out ash or maples though, that is unless I can see they are riddled with holes from woodpeckers or might be a home to squirrels.

When I do drop trees, I pile all the limbs up, hoping the honeysuckle covers the pile and a rabbit decided to make it's home under the pile. The way I see it, if I can make my property a better habitat for animals, the more plentiful they'll be to hunt in the future!

The deer taunt me constantly! When out cutting splitting stacking they stand around idly watching within yards of me. When I am actively hunting them -nowhere to be found, put those tools away- bingo they are back.

The deer taunt me constantly! When out cutting splitting stacking they stand around idly watching within yards of me. When I am actively hunting them -nowhere to be found, put those tools away- bingo they are back.

That always seems to be how they are. I pull in my driveway and get out of the car to get my mail, and there's 3 deer 20 yards away munching on crab apples staring at me. Of course I don't see any that close when out in the woods. Or I'll be out cutting or doing yard work and the doves are flying over low, slow, and in droves, but if a shotgun is in my hand I'll only see a couple high flyers zooming by at the speed of light.

I'm a hunter and enjoy the sport, but lets remember that this is a wood burning forum and keep the focus there as that is our common interest in being here together.

Thanks,

pen

Reactions: fossil
Why even have an off topic forum then? On a forum dedicated to providing your own heat, I don't understand why the mention of providing your own food is taboo. Our ancestors kept themselves warm with wood. They also kept themselves nourished with animals they hunted. The two are forever intertwined.

It's not an off topic forum, it's the wood shed.

Nothing wrong with hunting at all, this just isn't the place to talk about it, that's all.

pen

After joining this forum I'm worthless at work in one particular conference room that has 2 big sanding dead out the window at the tree line.

What about driving down the highway and all you see are nice dead standing oaks with no bark and that great silver gray color. You know you could split that and it's probably already at 20-25% it makes me sad to think they will just rot.

I am sorry about the deer reference that got this off track but I was trying to show how much this wood fever has got a hold of me in that I could think of anything else while bow hunting. And to answer your question yes I and all my family eat nothing but venison for meat pure and natural.

I am sorry about the deer reference that got this off track

No reason to be sorry at all!

This firewood thing certainly becomes a lifestyle!

What about driving down the highway and all you see are nice dead standing oaks with no bark and that great silver gray color. You know you could split that and it's probably already at 20-25% it makes me sad to think they will just rot.

If you see a few that you would like to cut, figure out who owns the land and see if they will let you cut them. I have came upon a couple of people who were happy to see the tree go to good use and will generally show you more! I had on guy in particular that I have been working on taking trees down on his property that never even thought about offering it to woodburners until I came along and asked. I now have made it hopefully 2 years ahead with adding 3 cords just from his property. And there is still many trees left.

Reactions: pen
I have gone the other way. I could think of nothing but wood for about 4 years and got over 20 cords and now all I can think about is bow hunting. Here I am known as golfandwoodnut on archerytalk I am golfanddeernut. It is good to have passion about whatever you do and being outdoors is a good thing in my mind.

You're priorities are all wrong! It's deer season now, c/s/s later. If you need an intervention let me know and I'll head out and sit in the tree next to you.

f v
+1

and after deer season, I will come help you take care of that "problem" ::-)::-)

I and all my family eat nothing but venison for meat pure and natural.
My boys have never had red meat at home that wasn't deer. I agree.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Ok I am sitting in my tree stand right now bow hunting for deer in my back woods. But all I can see are all the dead standing oaks and how much I like cutting/splitting, and stacking wood.

I have 15 cord c/s/s enough for the next 3 winters. I think I may need an intervention. :)

Two does came by not quite close enough for a good shot but who cares LOOK AT ALL THOSE TREES TO CUT.

I use to be the same way. I'll find out tomorrow if I need therapy, first year burning pellets now.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
You're not alone sometimes when I'm hunting I think I'm tree hunting instead of deer hunting maybe we can start a support group
emoji13.png

My biggest problem is the tractor I pull logs with has no (well, next to no) brakes..... So when I'm going through the woods I'm spending time trying to figure out how I can get a certain log out!

Maybe I just need to pony up and tear the damn thing down and fix it,,,, but there's not enough hours in the day. At least that's going to be my excuse.

So have you made a plan of attack @Gboutdoors?

My boys have never had red meat at home that wasn't deer. I agree.

Now I try to keep at least one deer in the freezer, and it makes great chili and jerky. But it can't touch the steaks from the 1/4 beef I get from local farmers! I like deer because I like the process of taking it from the field to the plate all by myself. But to me, quality beef still tastes better (stuff you get from a butcher or farmer, the crap you find at most grocery stores isn't that great).

Now I try to keep at least one deer in the freezer, and it makes great chili and jerky. But it can't touch the steaks from the 1/4 beef I get from local farmers! I like deer because I like the process of taking it from the field to the plate all by myself. But to me, quality beef still tastes better (stuff you get from a butcher or farmer, the crap you find at most grocery stores isn't that great).
I agree, I don't make my deer into steaks. We cut off major muscle groups from the back legs for pot roast, we grind our own (with a hand #10 grinder) for chilli, we slice the tenderloin up and use it for cheesesteaks. Our newest thing is that we grind the deer meat and then grind bacon ends/trimmings (from the local butcher cutting bacon, these are the leftover parts). We mix 80/20 (deer/bacon trimmings) and make burgers out of them. Best burger I have ever eaten.

You know, I'm glad I am not the only one who goes for a drive and sees this (or in a powerline easement) and thinks what a waste it is.

Reactions: D8Chumley
This afternoon my wife pulls in the driveway and asks if we have power. I told her we did, then she mentions that a tree came down on a line off the main road where you turn off into our neighborhood. All I could think was, "I better go pack up my saw and head up there!" Yeah, I definitely need help.

Status
Not open for further replies.