I think I overfilled my XXV tonight?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedNH

Aug 30, 2006
Surry NH
filled the stove. Pushed pellets to the back and this time I pushed down on them to get the last of the bag into the hopper.
Got home tonight and stove was out flashing #5. Incomplete ignition. I look in the burn pot and I cant see any pellets in the auger..thats funny, hopper is full. I pull the pellets out, slide plate seems to be moving ok. But I pull the back of the stove off anyways and vacuum the slide plate housing out. hardly any fines at all. Fire the stove back up and for now it seems to be working fine....I have no idea what I did. Stove has been making a moaning noise sometimes.
Im using exergex premiums...the soft wood kind...hate them, but thats another story.

Any Insight?

Ted:
You may have made a compression bridge. Pack then too tight and they will form a cave or hole at the bottom, empty the auger and shut the stove off. I don't ever pack my hopper tight, these aren't round like marbles. I have enough trouble with them piling on the sides. Dump, but don't pack.

Yep sounds like you bridged her. Spread the pellets across the hopper to the back and sides but never push down.
And it should have been a 6 blink status fault.
The moaning is usually when the slide plate is trying to close and it's trying to cut through a long pellet (putting stress on the gear motor) It usually has a mettalic plink after the pellet is cut and the slide plate bounces.

The ESP will keep your Harman from overfiring.
EDIT dope slap for me I thought the title said overfired not overfilled. :shut:

Status
Not open for further replies.