I think I passed the "test"!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ispinwool

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2010
Butler County, Pa.
Well....when we woke up last Friday it was 15* outside (about 58 inside)--the woodburner needed cleaned
out so I'd let it go out overnight; When I bumped up the furnace, nothing happened.
Got the burner stoked and have been burning 24 hours/day since....even though it's on
the back of the house, it's kept the main living/sleeping areas a decent temp. Not exactly
"tropical" but pretty close to the 'usual' inside temp :)
The part we ordered didn't fix the issue so finally called the furnace repair this morning....

They can take their time cause I have a woodburner and I know how to use it!!

(thanks ya'll! We'd have been COLD without all your help!)

ispinwool said:
Well....when we woke up last Friday it was 15* outside (about 58 inside)--the woodburner needed cleaned
out so I'd let it go out overnight; When I bumped up the furnace, nothing happened.
Got the burner stoked and have been burning 24 hours/day since....even though it's on
the back of the house, it's kept the main living/sleeping areas a decent temp. Not exactly
The part we ordered didn't fix the issue so finally called the furnace repair this morning....

Now THAT would be a GREAT bumper sticker or t-shirt (with the hearth.com logo, of course! :)

Shari

Wow, it's chilling down quickly back east now. Good that you have the stove at hand. To get more heat to the back bedrooms, put a table fan on the floor in the bedroom hallway, facing the stove area. Turn it on low so that it is blowing the colder air towards the warm air in the stove room. The cold air will get replaced by the warmer air.

The days aren't super cold but the nights have been 15* or 20*---too cold
for no heat. We have a bit of a "micro-climate" --we're beside a nice size
creek and it's quite a bit colder than the surrounding area.

We're lucky that most of the bedrooms are "up" from the woodburner--they're
the warmest area. And I have a fan set up as you suggested...

Hubby wasn't crazy about how much time I spend reading on here--- he now
realizes that the lessons learned kept us and the pipes from freezing...!
(And the reviews I read of the 22 ton wood splitter at Tractor Supply made me go out and
buy him one--he loves it!)

Ha ha.

Just try running the oil heat for a bit. I had a weird problem with air in my pipes and all it needed was to be run for the air to collect in the expansion tank. This was after I burdened the off topic area with a OH GOD WHATS WRONG. The what's wrong was we installed the stove and just never turned the heat on, so when we wanted to use it to bring up the bottom, it was never running long enough to purge the air.

ispinwool said:

Interesting. We are only hitting the low 30s at night on the east side of PA. We will be in the upper 50s to low 60s as our highs for the next five days.

Great story, ispinwool. Having a woodstove and a supply of good dry wood is a very secure feeling, indeed!

BrowningBAR said:
Interesting. We are only hitting the low 30s at night on the east side of PA. We will be in the upper 50s to low 60s as our highs for the next five days.

Yeah I have the MR2 today because of the weather, I figured if it's really 60F I'll take the roof off and enjoy the ride.

ispinwool said:
The days aren't super cold but the nights have been 15* or 20*---too cold
for no heat. We have a bit of a "micro-climate" --we're beside a nice size
creek and it's quite a bit colder than the surrounding area.

We're lucky that most of the bedrooms are "up" from the woodburner--they're
the warmest area. And I have a fan set up as you suggested...

Hubby wasn't crazy about how much time I spend reading on here--- he now
realizes that the lessons learned kept us and the pipes from freezing...!
(And the reviews I read of the 22 ton wood splitter at Tractor Supply made me go out and
buy him one--he loves it!)

Hey woolspinner, that in bold says a lot! I'm sure he really loves you even more now with that splitter! He'll make good use of it for sure. Be sure to tell him he can really make some good kindling wood fast using that splitter. I know I sure have some fun doing it; therefore, we tend to use more kindling than we ever have but it does make for quick starts even when you have a good coal bed.

Glad to hear the stove kept you warm and no problem with the pipes. It won't be long before a lot of us sees those night temperatures on a regular basis. We still have a couple of warm days to get through here before the temperature starts falling again. Our problem now is morning freezing and thick fog. Sure makes me glad I don't have to rise early and head somewhere to work!

Status
Not open for further replies.