I think i screwed up. Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LordmetalZ28

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2014
Hudson Valley NY
I think i may have screwed up the sealing of my pipe to collector. I have an ashley ap5660 l and when i installed my 1ft section to the exhaust collector i put a bead of silicone (like the manufacture recommended ) and then hose clamped the pipe down. I have a feeling thats never coming off again without damage. The problem is the fan motor housing is connected to exhaust collector and that housing needs to be pulled apart monthly for cleaning the housing and fan blades. I have 3 options i can cut the pipe in half buy new parts and start over. I can cut a notch out of the rear jacket compromising the strength of where the side swinging door mounts. I also saw that the collector attaches to the fan housing with three screws!! does anyone know if this also is sealed or should it come right off. Id have to imagine its sealed some how. I dont want to damage anything but this has to be disassembled for cleaning in two weeks. hoping someone had idea or experience with this issue

The exhaust fan is mounted to a circular plate that mounts to the exhaust housing with six sheet metal screws. Remove the six screws to gain access to the blower blades and housing cavity.

Edit: You will need a gasket for this. I made a replaceable one out of automotive exhaust manifold gasket material.

The exhaust fan is mounted to a circular plate that mounts to the exhaust housing with six sheet metal screws. Remove the six screws to gain access to the blower blades and housing cavity.

Edit: You will need a gasket for this. I made a replaceable one out of automotive exhaust manifold gasket material.
Can the old gasket be reused or does it tear up apon removal? Also how often do you clean out your fan and housing?

Looked at your old posts,what type of flue do you have?Anyway,happens a lot on harmans because of weird adapter BUT harman flange has 3 easy to get to bolts and a gasket.If you can get to blower without moving stove just make/buy smaller hose for vacuum and reach in there when motor is out.

::F
Can the old gasket be reused or does it tear up apon removal? Also how often do you clean out your fan and housing?

The gasket on mine was that flimsy white fibrous sheet material. I think I was able to re-use it one time. After that it was junk. 500 degree silicone would also work, just a bit harder to dis-assemble. The automotive gasket material is like ten dollars for a 12x18 sheet and I have been re-using it for a few years now.

I typically do a deep cleaning ( venting,blowers,etc) every ton up to a ton and a half at most. Depends alot on pellet quality and ash levels.

I have a typical simpson duravent. 1ft length from the collector to the clean out tee then up 13ft thru the roof. I didnt relize the motor came off like that. All the us stove cleaning videos i watched showed the exhaust housing coming apart at the exchanger tube. I have all kinds of hose attatchments i should be good with that. Really appreciate the info. Saved me alot of stress.

I have a typical simpson duravent. 1ft length from the collector to the clean out tee then up 13ft thru the roof. I didnt relize the motor came off like that. All the us stove cleaning videos i watched showed the exhaust housing coming apart at the exchanger tube. I have all kinds of hose attatchments i should be good with that. Really appreciate the info. Saved me alot of stress.
The whole idea behind the new duravent adapter with hose clamp and inside silicone seal is to not to have to use glue,easier to service.I welded up a harman adapter to use the 4" duravent adapter,used no sealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.