I think it's greenup day, and I have wood coming

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snowleopard

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2009
The trees around here seem to leaf out in unison, a phenomenon we call greenup. Meaning, you go to work in the same grey-tree world you've been seeing for the last eight months, and drive home in a world of riotous color. It gets us a little giddy.

Found some folks who will sell green birch, c/s/s for $180 a cord for one, $160 a cord for ten cords. First cord is coming today. If I like it, he'll keep it coming. Don't know what I'm in for, but he woke me up at 6:30 with a phone call and seemed surprised that anyone would still be in bed at that hour. That's a good sign, I think. He and his wife hand-split it and are delivering it from 100 miles away, clearing some ag land. God bless 'em--they sound like workers.

If this works out, all I'll need to do is get some dry poplar and spruce in here to mix with that, and I've got my wood covered for 3-4 winters out past this one (have three-four cord of birch on hand already, and more poplar than I can use in years laying down the hill on my property, already seasoned, so next winter is covered, I think).

So green leaves and stacked firewood--what a day!

My brother in law cuts firewood for a living and hes up at 4 am every morning, course hes in bed by 8 pm. Im still dreaming at 4 am and I could never fall asleep at 8pm, hell Im just getting my second wind by that time.

This worked. The wood is great, and the folks are straight shooters. They stacked it tight and it exceeds a cord measurement in all dimensions by at least a few inches. How cool is that?

snowleopard said:
This worked. The wood is great, and the folks are straight shooters. They stacked it tight and it exceeds a cord measurement in all dimensions by at least a few inches. How cool is that?

Does not get any cooler!

bja105 said:
I guess trees and dairy cows get up early.

Trees stay up all night.

Snowleopard, it sounds like you may have some new friends! Congratulations on finding this wood. Buying that wood or buying a CD at the bank; which is the better bargain?

Backwoods Savage said:
Snowleopard, it sounds like you may have some new friends! Congratulations on finding this wood. Buying that wood or buying a CD at the bank; which is the better bargain?

lol, easy one there!

snowleopard said:

Wow, they stacked it for you too? Super deal!

My deal fell through on the stuff cut and split since November. Ordered 6 full cord of Maple (Sugar and Silver) and Ash that has been down for a year and a half. Hoping they can get it split (2/3rds of it in 3 - 6" splits and 1/3 larger) given the weather/incessant rain we've been getting around here. Hope to get it delivered by the 1st week in June and then take vacation time to get it stacked pronto. Lot of hoping there, I realize.

Cut, split & stacked along with a 200 mile roundtrip for $160-$180/cord!! Sounds like they are doing it for the fun of it! You got it EZ for sure!

woodsmaster said:
Trees stay up all night.

:smirk:

Backwoods Savage said:

That's how I found myself thinking of them. My daughter helped unload, and said they stacked so fast she just stayed out of that end of the operation, and she had a good feeling about these folks. I explained to her what it would cost to heat our house for a year (about $3500 at today's prices), vs. doing it with wood (three cords of boughten birch, two of poplar from our property each year for about $500 and a few days of our labor). I could buy 20 cords at this price for what it takes to heat my house for a year.
HollowHill said:
Wow, they stacked it for you too? Super deal!

My deal fell through on the stuff cut and split since November. Ordered 6 full cord of Maple (Sugar and Silver) and Ash that has been down for a year and a half. Hoping they can get it split (2/3rds of it in 3 - 6" splits and 1/3 larger) given the weather/incessant rain we've been getting around here. Hope to get it delivered by the 1st week in June and then take vacation time to get it stacked pronto. Lot of hoping there, I realize.

Yes, they stacked it tight--know what they're doing. I'm happy!

Keeping my crossables crossed for you that all works out with the wood. It's a fabulous feeling.

muncybob said:
Cut, split & stacked along with a 200 mile roundtrip for $160-$180/cord!! Sounds like they are doing it for the fun of it! You got it EZ for sure!

I know! I feel like I won the wood lottery. I know that some folks just couldn't see buying wood, but it sure feels to me like it's taking a worry off my mind a load off my shoulders. I shake my head in wonderment, but if it's a good thing for them, it's a good thing for me, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.