I think it's working..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I swapped out the "orange thing"-70's fireplace thingy- in October. Installed the Timberline in it's place. (pre-welded all the secondary air mods. in place, in the house) and have, as of 1 hour ago , scrubbed the flue 3 times. First two inspections prior to cleaning, showed 1/4" of black fluff on the inside, no glazing or other forms of the nasty stuff. Tonight, the stove was at 100 °F when I checked/scrubbed the flue pipe. Just hot enough to have a positive up-draft. And I had a nice plume of "coffee grounds". Very little black, but alot of dark brown fluff. This is a first, so I'm wondering if this is normal at this time of year? I think my exterior pipe is retaining more heat, and less accumulation of residue from burning. Any thoughts?

Yes, this time of year is the most difficult for heating with wood and some deposits in the flue are normal. I wouldn't worry about what you got.

Status
Not open for further replies.