I think I've been cheated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidsilverr6

Oct 5, 2008
Southern Tier, NY
I bought a bunch of Hamer Hot one's Ultra Premium in the beginning of December. We payed $300/ ton for the things, The place we bought them from were telling us how great these pellets are. Well, Some may remember that I was having problems with their being alot of sawdust in the bags. I contacted the person we bought the pellets from and he told me I could bring a bag or 2 back if it was really bad and he would exchange it for another bag. That wasn't going to help any, when I have a ton and all the bags are the same way.

So, I sent an email to Hamer and they finally got back with me. They said that the pellets were sold as a # 2 pellet, basically, just to meet the demands. The person we bought the pellets from, let us believe that these were top pellets. We could have bought another brand for about $40/ ton less. I was going to contact the pellet fuel institute but don't think that there is anything that can be done. Hamer sold them to the guy as a #2.

What do you think about this whole situation? I think I've been ripped off!! Does this happen often?

I am not sure what you mean by #2? I am guessing you mean "premium"?

It sounds to me that either the manufacturer or the dealer misrepresented the actual product. If they claimed to be premium and carried the PFI logo, then I would write back to the manufacturer reminding them what the PFI standards are and I would also write a complaint to PFI. On the downside, the standards are finite specs but the enforcement process and implementation of the specs are not all implace yet.

I agree, those were mis-represented. I feel for you, especially with all the cleaning you're in for to burn those. Perhaps the lesson here, for others benefit, is to buy one or 2 bags and try them first, or at least open one up and check the contents. If it were me, I'd try for an exchange/refund. Big hassle, I know. I can get up to 20 bags in my Camry, so at worst, it would be 1 trip to exchange most of them.

another case of manufactures putting out misrepresented products

happened to me, now i will never buy a ton with out testing 4-10 bags first

j00fek said:
another case of manufactures putting out misrepresented products

Bingo ! As I've stated in the past.............. for as long as manufacturers are allowed to label their product any way they please, and conforming to PFI standards is VOLUNTARY, this will never end !

I contacted the PFI to discuss my problems with Pennington to no avail. Apparetly the PFI is not too concerned about substandard product being labelled as "premium"

For goodness sakes, NAME the store that sold you the second rate pellets at premium prices. Letting each other know about things like this is THE ONLY way things will change in the pellet industry !!

This is a copy of the email I received from the Hamer Company:

"I apologize for the delay in responding to your email. I did speak with Mike at ABV Supply concerning your pellets. These pellets are #2 pellets that did not meet our quality control. We test pellets on a regular basis for ash content and for fines/dust. Since these are #2’s they would not meet with the specifications that you mentioned in your email. Mike was running out of pellets and since they are in such tight supply, we decided to get him what was available. "

Then my boyfriend sent a message back saying:

"If these are #2 pellets and don't meet your quality control specifications how can you sell these as a ultra premium pellet??? Don't you feel the consumer should be getting what they paid for!! I feel that this is unacceptable and false advertisement.I will be getting a hold of the pellet fuels institute and inform them how you are ripping off your customers!! And 40 days to respond to a email!!!!! come on"

Hamer's Response:

"I apologize for the confusion. We did sell this load as #2’s not as Ultra Premium Grade. I called Mike at ABV Supply and he said that he will swap out any pellets that you are having problems with. He said he has your phone number and will try to contact you or you can reach him at ***-***-****. My phone number is ***-***-**** ext 27. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions. "

Note to self, don't buy Hamer Hot Ones. Note to you, don't buy from Hamer or ABV again... and DONT PAY $300 A TON FOR PELLETS!!!

Wet1 said:
Note to self, don't buy Hamer Hot Ones. Note to you, don't buy from Hamer or ABV again... and DONT PAY $300 A TON FOR PELLETS!!!

Note to self: Take Wet1's advice !

This is interesting. I purchased 5 tons of Hamers Hot Ones last spring (luckily I only paid 199/ton).

About half of these pellets were Hamers Premium, the other half were Hamers Ultra-Premium. Now you would think that the Ultra Premium would be their better pellet, NOT SO!

The Ultra Premium are Ultra Crap. The dirtiest pellet I have ever burned. I am cleaning my stove 2-3 times more often. My understanding is the lack of hardwood floor material being used has them purchasing the worst sawdust possible to manufacture this stuff.

The package is marked as less than 1/2% ash. Total non-sense!

I doubt I will purchase a Hamers product in the future.

I suspect that Hamers is not alone in this practice, they just got caught this time.

Doesn't do any good emailing PFI. I emailed them back in the Fall about the crappy Maine Woods and they never replied to me. Didn't surprise me.

I wonder what the dealer paid for those #2's? I bet he made $$$$.

JoeS said:
This is interesting. I purchased 5 tons of Hamers Hot Ones last spring (luckily I only paid 199/ton).

About half of these pellets were Hamers Premium, the other half were Hamers Ultra-Premium. Now you would think that the Ultra Premium would be their better pellet, NOT SO!

The Ultra Premium are Ultra Crap. The dirtiest pellet I have ever burned. I am cleaning my stove 2-3 times more often. My understanding is the lack of hardwood floor material being used has them purchasing the worst sawdust possible to manufacture this stuff.

The package is marked as less than 1/2% ash. Total non-sense!

I doubt I will purchase a Hamers product in the future.

This is exactly what happened to me. I bought 1/2 ton of Ultra and 1/2 ton of reg Premium. I said the EXACT same thing, ULTRA CRAP. Out of 25 bags, I filled an entire pellet bag of just sawdust!!

richkorn said:
Doesn't do any good emailing PFI. I emailed them back in the Fall about the crappy Maine Woods and they never replied to me. Didn't surprise me.

I wonder what the dealer paid for those #2's? I bet he made $$$$.

Maybe people should start contacting the government. The Pellet industry is trying not very hard to "self regulate" to keep the government off of their backs. If the pellets are crap, they should be marked differently and priced differently. Charging 300 dollars a ton and indicating that the pellets are premium is high way robbery.

If you have a webpage that is seen by a lot of people make sure to tell people what happened to you. Keep reciepts from the supplier and letters from Hamer and put them up for people to see, and then contact both the supplier and Hamer and rub their nose in it.

If enough people see this, they will give you a refund.

Also, when you start a thread, Make the title something like "Misrepresented Hamer's" So anyone who sees the thread gets thier attention called to the thread and it can be searchable on google so eventually, anyone typing in Hamer Hot Ones in Google will be lead to the thread.

Mark :)

Status
Not open for further replies.