I think my house is going to cave in

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Geez, I hope not!

Hubby and I had this argument just a couple of weeks ago when we got our first ton of pellets. Last winter we stored them in my shop and I couldn't get in there to work for tripping over pellets so this year I wanted to store them outside under cover. Hubby was scared that they'd get wet and we'd lose all that money and not be able to replace them. He wanted to store 3 tons in a old house we have on the property but I was afraid that the weight would be too much for the floor to support. In the end the pellets ended up right back in my shop. :mad: Oh well......I just won't do any work until spring. ;-)

Question would the same apply to storing them in a detached garage? This is our first year using a pellet stove and we had the forklift drive right into our garage.
Is it tooo much weight, anything I should be concerned about? Wanted to add I can no longer fit my car in the garage with the pellets so that wouldnt be a problem

TboneMan said:
Wow, 4.5 ton in one room (that's equivalent to over 1,100 gallons of water or over twice what a hot tub would hold). How big is that room. I'm curious as to what the designed capacity of your floor joists are.

Do you have them spread along an exterior wall?

I have been busy the last day or so..so I haven't been on here..

my "mud room" is a concrete slab on solid ground so I am not worried about that. The others as I said, I have spread evenly in a different couple of rooms. I used a level as I was setting them down on the floor just to make sure it was unleveling (if that makes sense)

Shortstuff said:
I purchased a Cover-It shelter 10 years ago and it is still being used to this day for storage/garden shed. If I remember correctly, it came with a 5-year warranty and has lasted twice that already. I cannot say enough about them.

Go here and check them out.

By the way, the one I purchased 10 years ago was a 12' wide by 20' long and 8' high and cost me just over $600.00 and I see that the same size today only costs $549.00.

Steve

I guess you are more trusting than I am...I don't know...I don't trust anyone around my area..

my "mud room" is a concrete slab on solid ground so I am not worried about that. The others as I said, I have spread evenly in a different couple of rooms. I used a level as I was setting them down on the floor just to make sure it was unleveling (if that makes sense)

Then you are just fine, Happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.