I Think pellet prices may be going down.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nailed_nailer said:
I was at Walmart in West Wareham Massachusetts yesterday. Wareham is down by Cape Cod.

The had about 20 tons of Pennington Natures Heat in dry covered storage in the garden atrium.
They had them marked at $289.00 a ton.

I was there about a month ago and they had 2 tons on the floor marked at $299.00 a ton.

$10 off a ton isn't much, but it is lower. Perhaps the big box stores are starting to see an oversupply.

BYW: They had the pallets double stacked. Not sure how that works as they were not in a rack.
Just one pallet sitting on top of the pellet bags of the pallet below. Probably not safe or good for the bottom pellets.

---Nailer---

Hi there,
I used some Penningtons...and found the quality to be inconsistent...first batch I bought in September were great...second batch bought in early November were awful...small and didn't burn well...just check them first.

Lowe's was cranking out $10 off coupons on every purchase of $50 dollars. I grabbed 70 bags of Green Team (have had good luck with them) at $4.89 a bag. Three loads in the Ranger!

nailed_nailer said:
I was at Walmart in West Wareham Massachusetts yesterday. Wareham is down by Cape Cod.

The had about 20 tons of Pennington Natures Heat in dry covered storage in the garden atrium.
They had them marked at $289.00 a ton.

I was there about a month ago and they had 2 tons on the floor marked at $299.00 a ton.

$10 off a ton isn't much, but it is lower. Perhaps the big box stores are starting to see an oversupply.

BYW: They had the pallets double stacked. Not sure how that works as they were not in a rack.
Just one pallet sitting on top of the pellet bags of the pallet below. Probably not safe or good for the bottom pellets.

---Nailer---

Double stacking pallets won't hurt a thing... I guarantee they are double, maybe triple, stacked at the manufacturers yard.

I've been a trucker for most of 33 years and it's a standard practice everywhere.

My local home depot just dropped their prices from $315/ton to $215/ton for Pennington and OHP to get in line with the local retailers. I guess there is always hope for prices to fall like that elsewhere especially if the winter is mild and energy prices stay low.

"I guess there is always hope for prices to fall like that elsewhere especially if the winter is mild and energy prices stay low. "

Yeah...except it won't be, and they won't. Check back the end of Feb.

Jim

donkarlos said:
where those coupons at?

The coupon is printed on the back of your receipt when you make a purchase, for your next purchase. Go buy a bottle of Gatorade before you buy your pellets.

You could buy 10 bags of pellets, use the coupon to save 10 bucks then go back and buy another 10 bags etc. etc.... Lowes is doing it for the month of December I was told.

I can get the same pellets at the locally owned ACE hardware for almost the same price as the the pellets at Lowes with the coupon. I go to ACE to spend my money. The owner does alot to support the community. I won't send him down the road for 25 cents a bag on pellets!

I bought 2 tons of Pennington pellets and 2 tons of tidy timbers. I began burning the Pennington’s first because of my concern with them since soo many people have had problems. Since burning the pellets there have been a lot of fines and longs. Some pellets are as long as 4”. So if you have a picky stove that needs smaller pellets I would advise against getting Pennington. Also just recently when I poured a bag of PENNINGTON’s into the hopper I noticed that there was a piece of wood inside that bag. It was not a long pellet but a 5” piece of wood. I feel that I cannot trust Pennington anymore. Their pellets are so inconsistant. I then called peggy at customer service who did nothing about the problem but advise me to call home depot where I purchased them and have them exchange them out. First thats not home depots problem its Pennington’s. I can see doing that if the bags were ripped but this is a 5” piece of WOOD inside of the bag. Secondly, home depot towmotor does not fit inside of my garage so I have to take out the ton of pellets by hand and load the exchanged pellets back into the garage by hand. Lastly I am not ven sure that they would exchange them or have any pellets left. Thats some good advice PENNINGTON!!! Dish your responsibility to someone else to deal with including your customers. It is not worth the hassel with this company. I will NEVER buy PENNINGTON PELLETS AGAIn!!!
Pennington customer service doesnt care about their customers or their chitty products. Mybe they will start to care when no one buys their crappy pellets. I believe that they dont care this year because of the pellet crunch and the fact that there was a shortage which makes it unfortunate that people have to buy whats out there. But it shows you what type of company Pennington really is. They add insult to injury when they know that their customers have little choice to find other available pellets especially near winter. All I know is that I will never buy from pennington again, period. I wont support those who dont care about their customers and stand by their products which is the least that they can do. It is just amazing how many issues people are having with this company and it is not just isolated incidents it is wide spread and it is long term, not just this year. DONT you remember last years fiasco!!! !!!

Pellets in my area have come down some in price. I fear that some of the high prices may have been the retailers more than the manufacturers not to mention the outrageous freight rates when oil was at it peek.
You can currently buy pellets between 240/ ton and 299/ton all within a 30 mile radius. Many of which are even the same brand. I personally buy my pellets right here in town made by local Northeast Pellets

Pellets in my area have come down some in price. I fear that some of the high prices may have been the retailers more than the manufacturers not to mention the outrageous freight rates when oil was at it peek.
You can currently buy pellets between 240/ ton and 299/ton all within a 30 mile radius. Many of which are even the same brand. I personally buy my pellets right here in town made by local Northeast Pellets

Status
Not open for further replies.