I think the wife and I decided on the Harman XXV, but wife does not like...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BKSinAZ

Jan 26, 2015
PineTop Arizona.
The only thing the wife does not like about the Harman XXV is the wire probe that will be laying on the floor (ESP Temp Probe).

Is there any way to do away with this wire probe? I know it is needed, but is there a wall thermostat that can take it's place?

Also, is it normal for a pellet stove retail shop to charge full MSRP for it's stoves?

You don't even see the wire just tuck it under the stove. Also I think Harman sets the price of the units and the stove shops must follow suit. MSRP is what we paid minus the $200 Harman coupon on their website.

You don't even see the wire just tuck it under the stove. Also I think Harman sets the price of the units and the stove shops must follow suit. MSRP is what we paid minus the $200 Harman coupon on their website.

You tuck the entire wire under the stove? I thought that would render the probe 'ineffective'?

Reactions: Wilbur Feral
You cannot remove the probe and replace it with a thermostat. If you want to wire a thermostat to the stove you have to wire it in series with the probe. Mine sits up on the mantel above the stove. Nobody notices it and the thermostat is on the wall to the right of the stove. As others have said you can coil it up behind the stove and wire in a wall stat. My stove runs off the programmable wall stat. It's set at 71 and the Harman stat is set at 80. It puts out the heat until the wall stat shuts it down. Has worked this way well for 2 years. I run in room temp auto when temps are normal and when it gets down to 0 or below I run in room temp manual.
Ron

I extended my probe ran it up through the wall right beside my t-stat for furnace can't see it at all and stove holds temp better there

The probe on my P61 I have coiled on the back of the stove. The probe end protrudes out about 5 " or so away from the stove. You don't see it at all unless you stick your head around the side of the stove. You don't want the probe on the floor anyway, it should be 2 or 3 ft off the floor, in fact Harman themselves suggest 4 ft as I recall. Ours is at the height of the back of the hopper ( just short of 3 ft off the floor, works great)..

Reactions: bogieb
Don't lay the probe on the floor unless you want that thing to run full blast all the time. A lot of people leave it coiled and hanging off the back of the stove. I have mine stretched to the side (about even with the front edge of the stove), full length from stove and 2-3 feet up. But, my foundation wall is right behind the stove and it is about 50 degrees back there while the rest of the room is nice and toasty. Obviously, it is in my basement, so I don't have to worry about aesthetics and just looped it around the strut of a small shelving unit.

The probe for my XXV is suspended behind the stove at about 5' (same height as a normal thermostat).

The only thing the wife does not like about the Harman XXV is the wire probe that will be laying on the floor (ESP Temp Probe).

Is there any way to do away with this wire probe? I know it is needed, but is there a wall thermostat that can take it's place?

Also, is it normal for a pellet stove retail shop to charge full MSRP for it's stoves?

They are allowed to have 10% off sales that is what I paid for my P61A in Oct. 3699 less 10%. Other dealers just choose to not do it at as they have no problems selling them at full retail.

Have the probe inside the side door just sticking out. Don't pay attention to the temp on the dial on the stove. Set it where you are comfortable in the living space. When the probe gets to 55 60 or whatever. The room will be 70 ect.

The probe on my P61 I have coiled on the back of the stove. The probe end protrudes out about 5 " or so away from the stove. You don't see it at all unless you stick your head around the side of the stove. You don't want the probe on the floor anyway, it should be 2 or 3 ft off the floor, in fact Harman themselves suggest 4 ft as I recall. Ours is at the height of the back of the hopper ( just short of 3 ft off the floor, works great)..
same here..\
mine is just peeking behind the hopper where the Manufacturer Writing is..

railfanron what is the difference from auto to manual if the temps outside get colder?
Many here like to switch to manual during the cold. This does not let the stove shut down completely once set temp is reached and the fire stays going in a maintenance burn. It doesn't take the stove as long to ramp up as it would from auto mode and get back up to set temp.

Reactions: Big papa
Many here like to switch to manual during the cold. This does not let the stove shut down completely once set temp is reached and the fire stays going in a maintenance burn. It doesn't take the stove as long to ramp up as it would from auto mode and get back up to set temp.
Correcto.!!

Hogg0494 the difference is in manual mode the stove never completely shuts down. It goes into a low fire burn instead with no convection fan. It stays hot all the time and radiates some heat. I believe it runs about 8,000 btus an hour but in the cold weather the stove is ready as soon as the thermostat calls for heat. When the call for heat comes the fire starts ramping up and the convection fan comes on. High fire and hot output air in about a minute plus the radiant heat is always replacing some of the heat loss in the house.
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.