I think this chainsaw is toast..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

homebrewz

Minister of Fire
Nov 29, 2005
East Central, NY
I was cutting today and the saw just quit, and now I can't pull the start rope at all. There is just a little bit of play in the recoil, but otherwise
it is not moving. I was using properly mixed gas, etc. Is this thing likely seized?

I know that no one will shed any tears over this when I mention it is a Homelite Super XL, but the price was right (free).

So my questions are:

Is it seized?
If so, is it worth rebuilding/fixing?
If not, what should I look for to replace it, keeping in mind I would like to be cutting about 1 - 4 cords/year of hardwoods (ash, cherry, oak,
and the very occasional elm when I am either lucky or unlucky, depending on your point of view).

Thanks much,
homebrewz

Well, you can pull the spark plug out, and take off the pull cord housing and try to turn the flywheel by hand. Peek into the cylinder via the plug hole and look at the condition of the walls if you can see them. If it's seized, it's junk. It's not worth rebuilding. Lot's of folks can recommend saws. My experience is with Stihl and Husky, both of which make quality saws. Go to a couple dealers, shop around, and find a nice one. I like the Stihl MS270 and MS290.

By pulling the muffler off you may have a better look at the inside of your cylinder. This very same thing happened to me a few years ago. I was sawing and it just quit. The rip-cord would not move. I ended up shattering the piston for some unknown reason. I took the saw apart and everything looked good, so I installed a new piston and my saw has run like brand new again. The saw this happened to was a Stihl.

It was very easy for me to take the top of the cylinder off the saw. If I remember correctly, it was only 4 bolts.

If you have further questions refer to: http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
Tons of chainsaw motorheads of this forum

I think I have th same saw in a box in my basement. The piston was seized but....a few months after I bought a stihl i read a couple places that the cylinder can be sanded and smoothed sastifactorly and the saw reassembled.......anyway If you want it.....the saw....I think it is all there....I live in Maryland.
Mike

probably not worth putting money into it, BUT a prime guinea pig project to take apart and learn from it. maybe you can get it sanded or freeded up and running again, if not you learn a lot.
and you can't really 'break' anything as it is junk right nw anyway, so it can only get better.

Try turning flywheel backwards. I have seen 2 cycle mc engines appear locked but a broken ring was snagging a port.

kcj

I agree with Kevin J, probably not worth putting much money into it, but definately worth tearing apart, seeing what's wrong and finding out if it's worth honing out. If nothing else you get first hand knowledge of a 2 stroke engine.

If you do not decide to repair it and it is eletronic ignition I would be interested in buying the coil from you. Its easy to remove, I have a saw that needs one and it is no longer available. Thanks,

Jason

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm not sure if its electronic ignition.. I don't know very much about 2 stroke engines.
I'm not ready to part it out, but I will be taking it apart soon.

I think I'll be looking for another saw.

if its seized, put a bit of diesel fuel in the spark plug hole, let it sit a day or 3. That sometimes helps loosen it up, or at least make it a little easier to take apart when you're ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.