I thought I scored

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_B

Jun 24, 2012
Columbus OH
A CL ad had a Lopi Revere insert for $800. The ad was a couple of weeks old, so I thought there was no way that stove was still available. The ad also said 100 bucks off if you remove from fireplace from the house.

Turns out this woman is not moving right away now and said she would call me if and when! I didn't get to ask any specifics, condition, or how old.

I bring this up because yesterday I went to a local stove shop looking at the Lopi Fredom. Sticker shock is putting it mildly $2700. If they install with their new smooth rigid insulated chimney $5600.

Not that I would have a shop install it, but i was shocked at the price. I don't have to replace my smoke dragon right away, but I am looking for a good EPA insert and would have to line my brick and mortar chimney. I have been following all of the threads and I am getting a lot of good info from all of you. I have burned my dragon for 10 years, it was here when I bought this 1650 sf ranch. It does well to assist with my ng furnace. I dont trust it to load for overnights or while away at work, because of back drafts. It has never backed up during a full burn, but I have lit the stove and shut her down too soon only to come back to a smoke filled house a couple of times, My fault I know. It has a big firebox, 3 cu ft. My wood is cut generally at more than 18". A lot of it is less than 18 from tree co scrounges. My current stove will fit 26"ers diagonally! The Lopi Freedom has 2.9 cu ft box and will accept 24" splits.

I have been researching all inserts and I am noticing that not many stove makers will ship direct and cut out the middle man. The box stores have much lower prices with maybe not as well known or trusted brands.

Anyhow, I just felt like letting fellow woodburners know what I am up to.

Yes, I'm concerned that some stove companies may be pricing themselves out of the market. Good used stoves are going to go quicker than ever now, especially at this time of the year.

Buying used at this time of year is tough. Prices are inflated and stoves go fast. Once you hit February, things slow down and prices begin to drop.

I lost out on two Mansfields and three Fireviews previously due to owners changing their minds, selling the stove even though we had an agreement, or just being dishonest. If you are buying used these are just some of the hurdles that can be expected.

I went to a different dealer today that sells Quadra Fire. I checked out 4100i. It was $2600 plus accessories. The more I look aty these new beauties the more I want to go ahead. I'm still kicking it around.

I went to a different dealer today that sells Quadra Fire. I checked out 4100i. It was $2600 plus accessories. The more I look aty these new beauties the more I want to go ahead. I'm still kicking it around.

You know the drill. If you need to stay within a budget while buying new, Drolet, Englander, US Stove, etc. is the way to go. If $2,600 is within your budget, then the Quad will serve you well and look good doing it.

Two years ago I got a Avalon 1190 Insert with the fex liner and the cap and I found a chimney sweep to install it and I have about $2000.00 in it. I found it in Dallas and I had to drive to Houston to get it. I found it in August. Deals are there, you must get lucky.
Robert

Two years ago I got a Avalon 1190 Insert with the fex liner and the cap and I found a chimney sweep to install it and I have about $2000.00 in it. I found it in Dallas and I had to drive to Houston to get it. I found it in August. Deals are there, you must get lucky.
Robert

Thanks for the input. I have been checking CL daily and like I said earlier I don't have to to have a new/used one right away. It is hard to be patient seeing all of the install threads and thinking about a more efficient way to burn my wood!

Buying used at this time of year is tough. Prices are inflated and stoves go fast. Once you hit February, things slow down and prices begin to drop.

I lost out on two Mansfields and three Fireviews previously due to owners changing their minds, selling the stove even though we had an agreement, or just being dishonest. If you are buying used these are just some of the hurdles that can be expected.
I got boned this past week,Just got the exact stove new and all the pipe,probably better off anyway,but I was pissed...Craigslist LOL

I got boned this past week,Just got the exact stove new and all the pipe,probably better off anyway,but I was pissed...Craigslist LOL
We're still talking about stoves here, right?

Reactions: weatherguy
I think I may finally part with my 602 (I didn't want to get rid of it until I was sure that the newer 602 CB would heat as well), in addition to a 602 knock-off that came with a house I just bought. Still mid-80's here, so I may wait for at least some night time chills before listing them...

Status
Not open for further replies.