I thought I was going to go buy the Huskee 22 ton then......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chipster314

Dec 12, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Well was ready to go buy the Huskee 22 ton (thanks to all the help on here) then this add showed up, assuming I can get it for $8-900 would you go with this one. Its about 12 years old with Brand new Honda engine on it

MTD 25 ton log splitter is equipt with a Honda GX160 -5.5 hp engine to deliver maximum splitting force. This splitter will make log splitting safer,faster and easier than before. Splitter is in excellent condition. $1200 OBO

Features:
1.Horizontal or verticle splitting.
2.Engineered cylinder connection for increased strength.
3.Cast steel footpiece
4.Heavy duty hydraulic cylinder producing maximum splitting force
5.Large hydraulic oil reservoir
6.17/8" hitch
7.Road tires for towing
Specs:
1.Motor: Honda 5.5 horse power
2.Pump: 2 Stage at 11gpm
3.Cylinder: 5" diameter and 24" stroke
4.Valve: Auto return
5.Max log length: 26"
6.Cycle time: 14 seconds
7.Wheels: 4.80 x 8 inch road wheel
8.Wedge: 6" tall
9.Beam: 6" x 9"
10.Hydraulic capacity: 35 quarts
11.Filter: Spin-on replaceable
12.650# weight

I like the idea its a Honda, Larger Hydraulic tank, theory is keeps oil cooler, fenders

Huskee all in with taxes and oil would be $1292.72 but will have warranty

MTD lets say $900 no warranty but $392.72 cheaper

Attachments

• 0876cmj_19.jpeg
    0876cmj_19.jpeg
    14.1 KB · Views: 785
  • 10002na_19.jpeg
    10002na_19.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 783
  • 6891919_19.jpeg
    6891919_19.jpeg
    14.6 KB · Views: 783
Another negative against the used one I just noticed is the way the ram rides on the I beam. No cradle That would be a big one I think

That looks really close to Troybuilt.
Was at Lowes today
,Troybuilt on sale, 27 ton $1647 US

Yea, I hear you.
Good luck

MTD gold 21 ton for $1250 US, Briggs 190cc engine
best I've found (& is same as troybuilt but not with honda engine)
Trying to see if "free shipping" applies to Alaska with Ace Hardware.

From what I gathered on this site, Speeco (huskee) & MTD (troybuilt) are both good machines.
Comes down to price for me too.
& I don't need more than 22 ton.

***ANYBODY: have "pros & cons" of Speeco & MTD?

If it were me chipster314 I'd get the older MTD...back then they made quality product with US steel. Splitters are not complicated and are easy to repair.

What about the way the ram works on the Mtd as compared to the Huskee. Any pros or cons ohter than the huskee acts like a built in cradle.

Around here you wouldn't be able to buy that splitter that cheap.

You see that 5" cylinder? That is all you need to know. If you can get it for a grand then buy it.

On Edit: Look at those specs, they don't make sense.

Either that spliter doesn't have a 5" cylinder, or it doesn't have an 11 gpm pump, or it doesn't have a 5.5hp engine, because if it does have all those things it sure as hell doesn't have a 14 second cycle time.

I definitely wouldn't pay the $1,200 asking price for the MTD . . . but if you got it for less money . . . maybe.

In terms of what would I go with . . . I think either one would work well for you and both are pretty comparable.

whoops chip I misread, the Huskee 22 ton 12 year old splitter is the one I'd get.

I'd question those specs some more - that cannot be a 35 quart capacity Hydraulic tank. The 27 ton TB is 3 Gallons or 12 quarts and the tank on the posted picture is not that much bigger than the TB.

fire_man said:
I'd question those specs some more - that cannot be a 35 quart capacity Hydraulic tank. The 27 ton TB is 3 Gallons or 12 quarts and the tank on the posted picture is not that much bigger than the TB.

After using the Huskee 22 for a while, the sort of built in cradle is a great feature. You end up taking it for granted. Having to hold the round on just the beam might be more of a PIA. Just something to consider.

Looks to be in really good shape, but you still have to ask yourself, "why did they have to replace the engine?" If the engine is has worn out, what shape are the other parts in...

That picture is a shiny version of the 20 ton MTD (and remember Troybuilt = MTD) that I use when helping my friend w/ his wood business - fine machine as a 20 ton, 4" cylinder unit - w/ a 5" cylinder it will be a really slow cycle machine... Either would be a decent unit... (and the cradle is a non-issue when used vertically...)

Gooserider

Well thanks everyone for your input. The MTD is sitting in my garage now Got it for $900. I have been looking for a used one for over a year now and they show up rarley, so I figured get it and use it and worse case scenario if I do not like it sell it for what I paid. That way I will have all this winters cuts splt up and I have scored alot this year. Nice winds storms just before winter set in. Probably have about 10-12 cord waiting to be split. First full winter with Insert and I will be using about 5 cords by the looks of it. Just have to figure out how to not burn so much as I am geting the one room a little to warm sometime and also getting the heat moved around the house more.

I have an older Reconditioned NTD splitter that looks just like that, features anyways. IT is a workhourse, B&S engine, 8HP I beleive and 33 ton..I love it

chipster314 said:
Well thanks everyone for your input. The MTD is sitting in my garage now Got it for $900. I have been looking for a used one for over a year now and they show up rarley, so I figured get it and use it and worse case scenario if I do not like it sell it for what I paid. That way I will have all this winters cuts splt up and I have scored alot this year. Nice winds storms just before winter set in. Probably have about 10-12 cord waiting to be split. First full winter with Insert and I will be using about 5 cords by the looks of it. Just have to figure out how to not burn so much as I am geting the one room a little to warm sometime and also getting the heat moved around the house more.

Another option if you find it's a bit slow, and it does indeed have a 5" cylinder, might be to simply do a down-size swap - take out the 5" cylinder, and put in a 4" - Surplus sales seems to carry appropriate replacements for around $100-150, and you could probably get at least some of that back by selling off the old cylinder.... It would drop the machine's ton rating to 20, but that wouldn't be a big deal as a 20 will split just about anything you throw at it - and what it won't split probably wouldn't split clean if you used a bigger machine (If it's tough enough to stall a 20, a bigger machine would just make pretzel shaped splits...) Should be pretty much a straight bolt up replacement...

Gooserider

chipster314 said:

Lucky you.
Good find.
Give you $1000, if you pay shipping ;).
I think you got a smok'n deal. Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.