1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

I thought it would fit....

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by mattjm1017, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    We have a new wood stove rule in the house. When in doubt leave it out. I thought maybe I could get one more split in but instead had to run through the house with a burning log because of my stupid mistake. Now my hand is burned and the house reeks of smoke. Oh well live and learn nothing to bad happened and I learned a valuable lesson.
    chazcarr, Curly and gyrfalcon like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. PLAYS WITH FIRE

PLAYS WITH FIRE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Welding gloves;-)
    fireview2788, Tuneighty and gyrfalcon like this.
  3. Umaxman

Umaxman Member

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    X2 on the welding gloves, I brought mine in from the shop for the winter.
  4. lopiliberty

lopiliberty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mineral County, WV
    Happened to me not to long ago. It will happen to every wood stove owner at some point. X3 on the welding gloves
  5. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I always wear welding gloves when putting my hands in the stove.
  6. mattjm1017

mattjm1017 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Corapeake NC
    Definitely getting welding gloves. I did have on some regular leather gloves but the thread burned off and opened up the seem giving me a little burn on my finger .
  7. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    Welding gloves and welding gloves. We've all been burnt one time or another.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    BB's second rule of wood burning. Never open that stove door without the gloves on your hands.
  9. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Hell, I don't touch a split without putting gloves on. With the amount of wood I'm moving my hands become a painful, cracked, and dried out mess by the end of the winter without gloves.
  10. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    That and a steel wood ash bucket by the stove...I have dumped out the kindling and put a half burning chunk in it before....may happen again.
    mattjm1017, mfglickman and gyrfalcon like this.
  11. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    not anymore....not just splinters but actual cuts like a knife from sharp bark
  12. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    That's what she said! ;lol

Me too, except when I don't. . .Doh!

Sounds like a good rule to me. I've had to pull a split out a time or two. Easy mistake in the Fireview. It will take a 20"+ split, but only inside the doorframe area. If it turns out to be too long to allow the door to close, you don't have much wiggle room. I keep a tape measure on the mantel; anything that looks close to 20" gets measured, then I sorta test fit the 20 before loading fully, ready to pull it back out immediately if it's too close.
    mattjm1017, Oldhippie, rideau and 2 others like this.
  13. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    I just put in a couple of longish pieces in at an angle.
  14. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Cannot believe I missed that one and you beat me to it.
    mattjm1017 and ddddddden like this.
  15. ArsenalDon

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Not trying to brag but mine can handle 22 inches
  16. ddddddden

ddddddden Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    Great minds. . .;)
  17. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    My hands and fingers becaome painful, cracked and dried out with gloves
  18. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I've had a few pieces over the years that I have had to haul out of the stove, but even with flames already starting (because it's never the first piece that is too big) I've never had more than a tiny bit of fire on a log (and then only on ironwood, because the stringly flaky bark catches so fast) and have easily been able to place the log on the hearth and slap out any fire with my gloves, watch the log, and it's always been OK, fire totally out. Can't imagine running through the house with burning logs. Agree 100%, if your wood catches faster than you can get the logs out of the stove, then keep stainless or cast container for the log on the hearth, and put the log out at the hearth. A galvanized trash can and a pail of ashes would do the trick with the worst of logs.
  19. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    I have the hearth gloves that go up to the elbow. Great for moving logs around.
  20. Curly

Curly New Member

Loc:
    Wilmington, DE
    Lol, I've done that too. Tried to jam it in there but it was just to long. I ran to the front door and threw it on the lawn. I guess that's what they call a red-neck meteor. ;)
    jdp1152, mattjm1017 and Jack Fate like this.
  21. topoftheriver

topoftheriver Member

Loc:
    Northeast
    If they don't fit, I put them aside and find the log that works. The rest go in the garage to be cut in half. Simple.
  22. hrhunter

hrhunter New Member

I used to have a neighbor with a Longwood stove. It would take 4' long pieces of wood. He kept a saw handy in the house to make a piece fit if it was too long.:)
  23. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    I've discovered that heating with hot air, or wood, makes my skin really, really dry. We tried every kind but ended up putting a pump bottle of Trader Joe's hand cream by every sink - slather on at every hand washing - seems to do the trick and I think the bottles are a bargain for a good quality product, like $4 each and they'll last you at least one year...
  24. Dustin92

Dustin92 Member

Loc:
    Jackson, MI, USA
    I had a similar mishap about a week ago, the log was too thick, and the bark had started to burn at one end. I grabbed the end that was sticking out of the stove, and threw it in the sink (about 10 feet from the stove) then turned water on it to put it out. It had dried out by the next reload so It was put in the stove.
  25. luv2byte

luv2byte Member

Loc:
    Southwest Washington state
    Yup! They are fantastic. I am a delicate flower (ok, so I'm just a female but it sounds good right?), we keep the gloves in the hearth next to the insert. I rarely reload the fire without them. I also keep regular gloves next to the hearth for when I'm going doing to the garage to get more wood to bring inside - no pitch or splinters that way.