i thought my ash problems were over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcat1

Nov 6, 2009
Eastern Me.

Last year I suffered through 4 tons of athens pellets and for those of you who burned them know what i'm talking about
(Big Time Ash!)

Recently I've been burning MAINE"S CHOICE and have noticed a marked improvement in heat and ash on the lower settings,but with the recent cold snap in the northeast,my Avalon has been cranking and the ash seems to be piling up just as quick as the Athens did last year at these temperatures.

Does this look normal for a 24 hr burn at 2/3 max?

1zd6it.jpg

I had an Astoria last year...great stove.

Yes, that seems to be a lot of ash for 1 day, IMO.

There are no ash problems that cannot be solved by a week of freezing rain, you'll wish you could get MORE ash.

cat900 said:
Last year I suffered through 4 tons of athens pellets and for those of you who burned them know what i'm talking about
(Big Time Ash!)

Recently I've been burning MAINE"S CHOICE and have noticed a marked improvement in heat and ash on the lower settings,but with the recent cold snap in the northeast,my Avalon has been cranking and the ash seems to be piling up just as quick as the Athens did last year at these temperatures.

Does this look normal for a 24 hr burn at 2/3 max?

How does your fire look? I hear you on last years ash, I can meet your 4 and raise you 2, however the last 3 were much, much better than the first 3.

Ash by itself isn't really a problem, it becomes a problem when it overwhelms the stoves ability to eject it from the burn pot. Other than that, it just requires more cleaning.

I have the same stove and I'm burning maine woods pellets this year. These pellets produce the most ash I have ever had, but not as much as your getting in a short time

Status
Not open for further replies.