I tried some of next years wood......booooooo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Just to experiment with some maple for next year I tossed on it and some hemlock. Both were c/s/s by July 2010. I'm not really surprised at how bad it burned but rather satisfied on how spoiled I am with the dry stuff I have now. By next year it will be ready to go. It wouldn't burn through, horrible coaling stage, poor starting, I'm starting to remember last winter and why I had soo many troubles.

Just some observations.

I've read on here about excess coaling can be from wet wood. I ran out this year just last week so I'm borrowing some off my neighbor for now. The wood he brought me is 3yrs old, 1st year outside, next 2 kept inside. This stuff is like burning 2x4s. And I've not had a coaling issue with this stuff at all before then. Not that its an issue now because the Elms primary air system makes getting rid of them easy. But I can have a stove half full of coals after an overnight where as before they would have been gone except for some in the back. So basically my experience is somewhat the opposite.

Good post.
I learned the dry wood thing too. Light easy, burns down to fine ashes.
Everyone should burn a load of real dry wood to know what the difference is.
Dry wood is as important as everyone on here says it is.

Every wood stove sold should come with 1/2 of a face cord that was properly seasoned from the dealer. It would eliminate many, many future issues.

After burning some "real" dry wood, I believe that many of the problems people complain about will be solved next year when they burn the stuff thats sitting and drying now. I know some don't believe that a few months will make that big a difference, but IT WILL!! Truly night and day.

I'm pulling from my pile for next year. The wood is doing very nicely, but this wood was from logs that I bought 3 years ago. The bark is falling off and it's pretty crusty.

Working through some oak from July-Aug. of '09 that is from the END of that time frame. Same symptoms.
Guess I put it in the shed in the wrong order. :sick:
Next years was put up the same time, so will be much better from here on.

Some day maybe I'll have some good dry wood and can report on how good it burns.

Backwoods Savage said:
Some day maybe I'll have some good dry wood and can report on how good it burns.

Smart Asse. :lol: lol
Go look at that down tree, you need therapy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.