I wanna buy an Englander 17

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MuchoBueno

Burning Hunk
Dec 20, 2014
Lower Hudson Valley
Yes siree. I had a revelation. I saw it in my dreams. I asked the wife and incredibly she said "oh that looks nice". Wood burning here I come!

They run really good once you figure them out. Just make sure it's a good fit for your situation, and understand it's capabilities and limitations.

They run really good once you figure them out. Just make sure it's a good fit for your situation, and understand it's capabilities and limitations.
I want something small and unobtrusive just to give us a little heat in case of a power outage. In no way do I want to buy cords n cords of wood and stack, season, cover, blah blah. I want to keep about half a cord on hand and that's it. I'll use it when the power goes out(goes out about once a year for a few hrs). When I see the price im looking for, I'm going to pull the trigger. I'm going to wait a bit longer maybe the prices will fall to high 4s, low 5s. Then I'll post in the proper forum ;)

Edit: if I get this I will probably use it more than once a yr for effect also not just when the power goes out but not looking for this to be a main or even a secondary heat source.

Well I think it would probably serve you fine then. Some people might wonder why their Chevy Sprint can't haul a cord of wood, or why their half ton doesn't get the fuel mileage of a Sprint and then complain. Apparently you are not this guy.

Well I think it would probably serve you fine then. Some people might wonder why their Chevy Sprint can't haul a cord of wood, or why their half ton doesn't get the fuel mileage of a Sprint and then complain. Apparently you are not this guy.
Haha no absolutely not. My purchases of anything that will be visible in or out of the house has to be ok'ed by the boss. Just like it took lots of time to choose a pellet stove until she saw the p35i and she ok'ed it haha. But seriously I like how that wood stove looks and the minimal clearances are a huge plus. Not expecting to use it regularly watsoever. Say the power goes out. Say it's -30 outside and my Harman can't keep up. Say it's a wet cool and rainy day in autum...like that.

Hi BB, just looked at your referenced thread of discount stoves... Are these familiar stove names? I also see neither ships to Canada, do they not meet Canadian codes?

They wear the Timber Ridge badge up here in Canada. Good for Canada, and mobile home approved as well.

I looked at Ashley wood stoves for my basement work shop. Looked good till I figured out it was going to cost me nearly $2000 to vent it.

Ahhh, yes, pictures of the units are same. Curious why they don't ship Canada, must be export fees or transportation costs...

Hmm, how much would and average install cost? Is going thru the wall cheaper n easier to maintain? I'm not planning on doing this myself btw.
This was me doing it, Class A insulated 6" Double wall Stainless. The install would have been from my basement up and out around ground level, then up two stories. You can't direct vent wood stoves that I know of as yet. And you also can't just dump into a clay liner. Where my install would have been I have a full dormer up top, then I had to clear an additional 10' to get the outlet distance required to my rear pitch of the roof.

This is why you really would be best off posting this in the wood burners forum. They know wood stove stuff over there !

Last edited:
$525 and ships free? Wow that's a good deal.

Edit:$549 at HD.
Yes many wood stoves are well priced. Now price the venting as required by code and labor, since you said you would not be doing the work. Warning: don't screw around with any kind of Mickey Mouse install with a wood stove, 0 shortcuts. Chimney fires are much much more likely and prevalent with wood stoves than with pellets. You want to both seriously reduce that risk and if it should occur non the less, you want the vent to survive the intense heat.

Yes big time. I'm not messing with anything with a wood stove. I don't wanna start posting in wood burners forum and get all serious yet. Once it's solid that I am in fact getting that stove and I have the actual stove on hand, I will go over and say hello to those good peeps. I'm going to scour the classifieds, HD, TSC, etc and try to get a good deal on a stove first. That Englander 17 is the only smallish stove I've really looked at online so far. I wanna maybe see other small stove options and hopefully learn a bit more.

Yes big time. I'm not messing with anything with a wood stove. I don't wanna start posting in wood burners forum and get all serious yet. Once it's solid that I am in fact getting that stove and I have the actual stove on hand, I will go over and say hello to those good peeps. I'm going to scour the classifieds, HD, TSC, etc and try to get a good deal on a stove first. That Englander 17 is the only smallish stove I've really looked at online so far. I wanna maybe see other small stove options and hopefully learn a bit more.
I saw a nice small classic looking Ashley at TSC yesterday, priced in the mid $400 range. Fully fire brick lined, glass door etc. Nice little stove.

Reactions: MuchoBueno
Yes many wood stoves are well priced. Now price the venting as required by code and labor, since you said you would not be doing the work. Warning: don't screw around with any kind of Mickey Mouse install with a wood stove, 0 shortcuts. Chimney fires are much much more likely and prevalent with wood stoves than with pellets. You want to both seriously reduce that risk and if it should occur non the less, you want the vent to survive the intense heat.

Yeah, people already complain about how much their pellet stove pipe costs. When you gotta put in a full chimney (15' vertical minimum according to the manual), and most likely go thru the roof, installing a wood stove can get pretty dang expensive (been there, done that - expensive even though we did it ourselves w/ help from a contractor friend). Didn't look at the floor protection requirements for that specific stove, but they are usually much more stringent than pellet stoves too.

Reactions: MuchoBueno
I saw a nice small classic looking Ashley at TSC yesterday, priced in the mid $400 range. Fully fire brick lined, glass door etc. Nice little stove.

Edit: I also saw the Bio -cubes on sale at TSC yesterday. Seems to me they would be fine as a fill in stoves fuel and no seasoning issues either, or bugs..

Edit: I also saw the Bio -cubes on sale at TSC yesterday. Seems to me they would be fine as a fill in stoves fuel and no seasoning issues either, or bugs..
you just answered another question I had. If and when I get this thing set up, I was thinking of storing a bunch of those bricks instead of wood. Wife is going back and forth. I have to thread lightly...

Reactions: alternativeheat
Wife told me she didn't think i actually wanted to install the wood stove, she thought it was a pellet stove and that I was just asking what she thought of the styling(no friken way man). Anyway I'm waiting for a power outage then I'll have more leverage hehehehehehehehe. Anywho, let's see what happens. I know you guys and gals are a tough bunch(no joke on that) but she's the boss. She gave me 2 beautiful children and I have to respect her.

Status
Not open for further replies.