I wanna go farmin........... crickets that is!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxjamie540

Nov 10, 2009
southern illinois
I have been studying the possibility of raising crickets for fishing for my family and a some buddies. I like using crickets, but there is no place close to purchase them.

I have been reading online and it seems really easy..............BUT............ I keep getting hung up on the possible smells and sounds of a cricket brood in my garage.

My question is, would it be possible to bury the cricket farm in the back yard. Seems kinda logical to me, the temps would be more constant, noise would be lessened, and it would not take up any precious real estate in the garage.

I know that I would have to keep water out of the brooder, but that could be easily remedied....... What else am I missing here??? There does not seem to be any info on this method available on the web.

I have been studying the possibility of raising crickets for fishing for my family and a some buddies. I like using crickets, but there is no place close to purchase them.

I have been reading online and it seems really easy..............BUT............ I keep getting hung up on the possible smells and sounds of a cricket brood in my garage.

My question is, would it be possible to bury the cricket farm in the back yard. Seems kinda logical to me, the temps would be more constant, noise would be lessened, and it would not take up any precious real estate in the garage.

I know that I would have to keep water out of the brooder, but that could be easily remedied....... What else am I missing here??? There does not seem to be any info on this method available on the web.

Well maybe I can help you out as I sold about 100 thousand crickets this week!. The domestic crickets that are raised for fishing and pet food are raised at somewhere around 90 degrees. I would think that anything buried would be to cool. The crickets don' chirp until they reach the final stage (they shed their skin like a snake) also If it is to cool they chirp very little. Building a cage to keep them is fairly simple make sure you use wire screen and not a fiberglass.plastic screen as they will eat holes through it!

Here is a good article to read. We bought crickets from them for over 30 years.
http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2012/01/top_hat_cricket_farm_in_portag.html

Gary

Thanks Gary! I did not think of the ground being TOO cool, see..... that is why ya post these things here, you get great advice and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.