I want it but.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This monster of an oak measures almost 18 feet in circumference at its base, located on a friends farm,he said I can have it but must arrange to take it down and haul it away. Logistically not possible he's 40 miles one way from my location. The tree will have to eventually come down as he needs the space for a future barn he'll be building.

Attachments

• Hunt 11,8,11 012.jpg
    Hunt 11,8,11 012.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 396
  • Hunt 11,8,11 013.jpg
    Hunt 11,8,11 013.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 420
It might be 18" at the base/root structure. The champion tree program measures at 4' from the upward side of the hill.
Still a big tree

Wow that is a monster.....if I was closer I'd help ya take it down!! How close is it in relation to structures, how tall is it? Other pics of the top and a distance shot would help as far as getting an idea on how big it really is....

Be sure to be there with a lawn chair and a beer at a safe distance to watch somebody else take it down. And a camera of course.

That would be a fun tree to cut up!

If the tree is solid, he may be able to get a local saw mill to take it.
Some value in white oak lumber. May do it free or even buy the tree.

bogydave said:
If the tree is solid, he may be able to get a local saw mill to take it.
Some value in white oak lumber. May do it free or even buy the tree.
I would be amazed if that free didn't have internal issues. Most oaks that size that I have seen were hollow inside. I'm not saying that this one is hollow, but it would surprise me if it wasn't. I wanna see pics of the whole tree, up close and also from a distance. Any dead branches or hollows up the tree could help us see what condition the trunk may be in.

Status
Not open for further replies.