I want to make this for my entranceway - wood lovers will appreciate.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GrumpyDad

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2022
Champion, PA
Sorry for the picture quality.
Any advice on what tree species I should try to avoid for this?
Obviously, it would be a ton of work. I would likely replicate this almost exactly however instead of a sign I would put a mirror.
This would be in the foyer of an expansion that Im working on at my cabin (ok it's more of a shack in the woods right now..)
They used plywood and screwed in the logs from behind. Patrons tend to get a little goofy when they go out in public, so I see why they did it. If you look closely there are some missing, and that's where you can see a broken off piece of screw where a round was prior. Likely a souvenir someone snagged up.

The only logistical challenge, for me, is the weight of having to heft this thing up and screw it to my wall. At the top I plan to have a few longer pieces that visitors could use as a coat rack. I would spray paint the ply a dark brown prior to placing the rounds, and would trim the outside edges with hand scrapped poly'd sticks.
I thought about gluing to the board once up, working from the bottom up with a starter 'course' of rounds screwed to the board. That will still be interesting to hold up, level and screw into my wall. I would also have certain pieces glued on only, over where the screws would be that hold the board to the wall.
Not sure how I will 'find' the rounds from the back side if I go the screw in method. I considered pre drilling a thousand holes and just using whatever hole I see seems closest to the center of the round.

I could use solar seal 900 as that stuff is amazingly strong and flexible after a couple of weeks. That would make life alot easier. What I want to avoid is a nightmare 5 years down the road of pieces just falling off.

Sorry for the picture quality, it was at night and they are very dimly light with those crappy solar leds. Restaurant was cool, not $150 a plate cool but, hey. YOLO.

EDIT: I just had a thought.....(sizzle)....what if I dipped each round in poly :). Like the whole round. That would save alot of time

PXL_20221021_011045367.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ispinwool
Many years ago I did an old farmhouse kitchen floor with
2-inch end grain pieces of 4x6 hand-squared barn beams (Ash)
super dry and hard as rock glued to the floor Perma chink between
pieces and sealed with 5 coats of Varathane Diamond
As far as I know, it still looks as good as the day it was put in
15 years ago
For your wall, I'd use LePage PL Premium MAX Construction Adhesive,
fast and easy

Many years ago I did an old farmhouse kitchen floor with
2-inch end grain pieces of 4x6 hand-squared barn beams (Ash)
super dry and hard as rock glued to the floor Perma chink between
pieces and sealed with 5 coats of Varathane Diamond
As far as I know, it still looks as good as the day it was put in
15 years ago
For your wall, I'd use LePage PL Premium MAX Construction Adhesive,
fast and easy

Thanks for the advice. It would be nice to set the base board first then just start gluing.
That floor sounds very interesting. I was trying to figure out what floor to do for my entrance way. All the flagstone here is 2" thick minimum and then I need to add backer board. Not optimal as I would have to cut my door and have a meaty transition down to hardwood floors.