I want to operate my stove from my smartphone!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't remember if it was Bosca or Rika, but the European versions of their stoves let you do that. You can call your stove when you are away and have it turn on so the place is warm when you get home.

can I ask why? is it just for the novelty of the whole thing or do you really have a situation that calls for it?

Reactions: SwineFlue
Control from any web enabled device...
http://www.ecobee.com/solutions/home/smart/

You would have to open a hole in your routers firewall to allow connection to these types of devices from the internet. If hackers find security holes in these devices you could end up with frozen pipes or worse. IMO, proceed with caution

Have been running and controlling our oil burner and pellet stove for 18 months now using 2 of these:

http://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/

These are industrial quality and work well.
They send their current, daily, I.P. address to dyndns.com.
I access a link at dyndns.com (for free) to monitor and control things.
If I loose the internet link, they continue like a regular thermostat.

I travel a lot and am able to monitor and control home from an iPhone.

It depends of the stoves logic, my castile I can't electronically control feed and fan rates, just test at if I wanted to.

Should be simple to set up, if you have the appropriate controls in stove already.

You can call up your pool or spa and tell it temp, light color, waterfalls on..

To control stove doesn't look like a far reach.

I would like to have my entire control panel in an "app" version. Not necessarily able to change anything, but at least see a clone of the control panel on the web or mobile, able to see live exactly what the stove is doing. IE, if it is on heat level 4, etc. those same lights would be lit on the app. I am sure it can be done but it well beyond my tech skills to figure it out.

Have been running and controlling our oil burner and pellet stove for 18 months now using 2 of these:

http://www.controlbyweb.com/x300/

These are industrial quality and work well.
They send their current, daily, I.P. address to dyndns.com.
I access a link at dyndns.com (for free) to monitor and control things.
If I loose the internet link, they continue like a regular thermostat.

I travel a lot and am able to monitor and control home from an iPhone.

Thanks for the link. Dyndns.com has been around for a while? I had fooled around some with ZoneEdit at one time with a home web server.
It's great that it's free. Seems like it would be more flexible and have more capabilities (sensors) than other WIFI thermostats out there.

Thanks for the link. Dyndns.com has been around for a while? I had fooled around some with ZoneEdit at one time with a home web server.
It's great that it's free. Seems like it would be more flexible and have more capabilities (sensors) than other WIFI thermostats out there.

controlbyweb.com is the manufacturer.

dyndns.com is the service I use to locate it if, like most people, your Internet IP number changes frequently.
If you have a fixed IP number, these web thermostats can be directly accessed with no intermediates.

They are intended for controlling apartment buildings and Time Shares, where access to home units is uncertain. They work great.

I get it now, mostly. The unit requires dyndns? You can't use another service?

The unit doesn't require any particular service.
I just set our home router to tell dyndns.com the daily web IP address of our house. Any similar service can be used.
The web thermostat is its own web server but sits behind our house router. I just need to know where it is on the web in order to reach it.

Awesome. Thanks very much. I had been looking at remote thermostats lately, but they all relied on their own services.

My son uses sthe NEST and it works well. He was in toronto last week and turned down his thermostat in Utah via his iphone.

well worth the coin IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.