1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

I want to replant trees I use to burn. How many trees are in a cord of wood?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by woodsie8, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodsie8

woodsie8 Member

Loc:
    Pacific Northwest
    I have made a committment to replant, but don't have a clue how many trees to replant. I will plant more than taken but don't want to replant less..........

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Shipper50

Shipper50 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I would have to say it depends on how big you let the tree get. I have cut trees that were around 16-20 inches in diameter that would get one cord. I cut a double trunk hickory just last month that gave me around 1.5 -2 cords. I didn't cut the very tops, only up too say 3 inch diameter.

Shipper
  3. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    I would think you should plant 8 to 10 trees per cord at lest.
  4. acesover

acesover New Member

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    id say 1 tree per cord of wood is a fair exchange.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    In most places, the trees will replant themselves quite nicely,to the point of overcrowding if there's a good opening in the canopy- whether you replant or not. I am planting in my yard to change the mix of trees to more rare natives, but otherwise they crowd right in.
  6. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Are you replanting to avoid a species that would be invasive temporarily ?

I planted parts of a stripped parcel 40 years ago and all that I planted is just about gone. Crowded out by 1st and then 2nd generation local species.
    Was interesting to watch what wind patterns perimeter species availability and other effects have had on recovery.
    20 acres willow bushes and weeds become pine/maple /birch/willow become pine / maple / oak and now quite a bit of holly and even some white oak in the understory. If I had time, I'd be out there cutting down pine in favor of the oak.

All the oak I planted dried out with no protective canopy. All the non-native fir / spruce was overtaken by the local pine / maple.
  7. JBinKC

JBinKC Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake of the Ozarks
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.