I want to replant trees I use to burn. How many trees are in a cord of wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to say it depends on how big you let the tree get. I have cut trees that were around 16-20 inches in diameter that would get one cord. I cut a double trunk hickory just last month that gave me around 1.5 -2 cords. I didn't cut the very tops, only up too say 3 inch diameter.

Shipper

I would think you should plant 8 to 10 trees per cord at lest.

In most places, the trees will replant themselves quite nicely,to the point of overcrowding if there's a good opening in the canopy- whether you replant or not. I am planting in my yard to change the mix of trees to more rare natives, but otherwise they crowd right in.

Are you replanting to avoid a species that would be invasive temporarily ?

I planted parts of a stripped parcel 40 years ago and all that I planted is just about gone. Crowded out by 1st and then 2nd generation local species.
Was interesting to watch what wind patterns perimeter species availability and other effects have had on recovery.
20 acres willow bushes and weeds become pine/maple /birch/willow become pine / maple / oak and now quite a bit of holly and even some white oak in the understory. If I had time, I'd be out there cutting down pine in favor of the oak.

All the oak I planted dried out with no protective canopy. All the non-native fir / spruce was overtaken by the local pine / maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.