I wanted to know if my sundown metal stove needs a gasket...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thedonski

Sep 29, 2007
Does my older sundown metal stove need a gasket? It has a flat channel on the door and on the stove's opening in the front.

-ryan

Welcome......... ;-)

Does your glass get or stay dirty ? If it does, is it in certain spots ?

If so, it's probably getting air flow in at these dirty spots.

Try the dollar bill test.

Place a bill in between your door and stove and close your door, if the bill slides out easily or moves around easily, then you probably need a new gasket.

Make sure and do it all the way around your door.

Robbie

Yeah that is what I was saying. I just moved into a rental, but there was no gasket for either the opening of the stove or on the door. There is no glass on the doors. This is an old, I think cast iron, stove insert. In the doors are two turn dials to increase or decrease air flow. Pretty low tech, but it should easily heat my little place. So I guess maybe I will just try it to see if the air flow is cut off or not by the metal. If not then I will get a gasket.

My guess is that there should be a gasket. dont think Ive ever seen a stove door without one. If you can lift off one of the doors and take it a stove shop thay can probably come up with a gasket and show you how to install it.

Sounds pre epa and many of hte pre epa stoves didn't have gaskets they relied on a semitight seal between door and the channel. Probably going to be next to impossible to track down an owners manual to be certain. Try burning a fire in it and see what kind fo control you have. If you can't control the fire with the air knobs then add a gasket and see if that helps the control.

Thanks for the replys. I know with a stove you have to be careful so that is why I asked. I tried adding a flat channel 3/4" gasket and the doors would not get close to closing. That was the smallest height of gasket that I could find. So I decided to try a small fire without the gasket. I got a fire going and I can control it with the turn knobs on the front. Everything is working great! Very little air leakage.

Thanks again for the fast support!

Status
Not open for further replies.