I was a Super Cedar Skeptic....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breathebeast

Oct 15, 2010
central CT
But my god those things start an inferno in our woodstove in less than 5 minutes! It's beautiful to watch! Especially since we got our new load of obviously less seasoned wood, fires have been starting very creakily - but pop 1/4 of a super cedar in there just about anywhere and it's blazing away, beautiful to watch and no frustrations at all. I am sold!

I have to agree. Even my wife can start fires easily now. However, I don't think we'll be needing more for a few months yet. The fire keeps going 24 hours per day.

Yes they work well. The company is only 5 miles away and I went there. The owner is a real nice guy, has a great thing going as far as a business model and function. I will use these in the future. To anyone who has not tried these I would say "do try". No paper just good dry kindling.

I don't even use kindling with the Super Cedars. I use a couple small splits and regular size wood. I also only use about 1/6 of a Super Cedar. I'll never go back to newspaper and kindling....

Backwoods Savage said:
Even my wife can start fires easily now.
Now that's an inflammatory remark! In many societies, the woman is the expert fire maker.

That said, my wife had asked me a while back for instructions on how to start a fire using Super Cedar. Fire starting has always been tasked to me.

Growing up, my mother always started the fire and knew the value of dry wood and a clean flue. My father couldn't burn his way out of a paper bag, didn't know how to stack wood and only ever cleaned the flue on my mother's insistence. I still recall the heated exchanges with my mother saying he can eat a cold supper because he was not meeting her needs.

westkywood said:
I don't even use kindling with the Super Cedars. I use a couple small splits and regular size wood. I also only use about 1/6 of a Super Cedar. I'll never go back to newspaper and kindling....

+1

With good dry wood I can put a couple regular splits above a super cedar (I prop one side up using a smaller piece at 90º so there is a small gap between the super cedar and splits above it). I'm not talking about large splits but the average ones I have can easily light off a 1/4 SC. If they had been recently rained on or maybe not ideally dry, then I put some larger kindling on first.

I picked up a box in person as well a while back.

My parents, friends and co-workers are now converts as well.

RNLA said:
Yes they work well. The company is only 5 miles away and I went there. The owner is a real nice guy, has a great thing going as far as a business model and function. I will use these in the future. To anyone who has not tried these I would say "do try". No paper just good dry kindling.

Used a 1/4 last night to start charcoal for ribs on the Weber. Don't need starter fluid either.

I am also a convert! wife started our fire with one half of one and I now use it to start my charcoal for the charbroiler.
I am sold!

Status
Not open for further replies.