I was having a good day until.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ourhouse

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2006
Norfolk Ma
I come home from work and look out my back window and notice my wood pile is uncovered. I think to myself "that's odd, I didn't uncover my wood pile." So I ask my wife "honey, did you uncover the wood pile and bring in some wood?" She says "no, I did not." So I go out and look at my wood pile and notice a lot of wood is missing. Some no good, rotten, mother f'er stole my wood!!!!! >:-( My house is fenced in on 3 sides so it makes me wonder who was in my backyard. I WILL find out who did it!

earthharvester said:
I come home from work and look out my back window and notice my wood pile is uncovered. I think to myself "that's odd, I didn't uncover my wood pile." So I ask my wife "honey, did you uncover the wood pile and bring in some wood?" She says "no, I did not." So I go out and look at my wood pile and notice a lot of wood is missing. Some no good, rotten, mother f'er stole my wood!!!!! >:-( My house is fenced in on 3 sides so it makes me wonder who was in my backyard. I WILL find out who did it!

Awe Man ! I concur "no good, rotten, mother f'er" I'd B P.O.'ed for sure.
bastard took your winter cash.

************** >:-( :mad: :vampire: :shut: *****************

Sorry to hear that earthharvester! Make sure you report it to the police. If they will steal your wood, who knows what else they might be back for!

I would say hide some rat traps in there. Make sure you remeber where you put them. Also a electic fence, with the kind of generator designed to keep bulls in the feild will deter most people.

Not much I hate worse than a F'ing thief. Any chance to find some boot or shoe prints in the soil around your wood pile? If just a bit was gone, I would be tempted to start looking in the neighbors yards thinking maybe someone just carried off an armload or something. But if you're missing a lot, there is probably a better chance that someone parked a pickup and made multiple trips. the wood could still be close by, but might be more likely to be at some other house far away, too.

Good luck tracking them down.

Corey

There was a wagon used. I think I know who did it!!! I am waiting for them to come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt I have to worry about that since people are so lazy around here they wouldn't go thru the trouble.

What kind of rotten *#@& steals a man's heat?!!

earthharvester said:
There was a wagon used. I think I know who did it!!! I am waiting for them to come home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck at finding that m.f

The balls on some people. I won't even take downed wood from the roadside of vacant land without asking permission. Not only did they steal your wood and heat, but also your hard work and time. I'd be pissed.

How much did they get?

Big Eric said:
My grandfather was born in 1921. He was a teen during the depression and times were tough. They had a miserly old neighbor who used to come over and steal wood from my great grandfather. My grandpa said that his dad jumped this guy about it and the guy denied it even though there were foot prints in the snow. So, great grandpa drilled out a split of wood and put a stick of dynamite in it and capped it with a plug of wood. He told the boys not to grab it and not to tell anyone. A couple of weeks later, they were awoken to a thunderous clatter. It blew the guys stove up and burned his home down. The old guy survived, but had to go live at the county home. No, he wasn't stealing wood, was he? I know it may sound like an poophead thing to do, but you have to recall that the times were different then. You wouldn't get by with that today.

Are you crazy ,You definately could not do that today!

I mean where you going to get a stick of dynamite.

Could do it with an M90 though

Great Idea
Sorry but I would load that pile in a heartbeat with some of those

there comes a point where you just have to draw a line and stealing someone wood it just wrong

Make damn sure its him. Then get medieval.

That is quite a story! And it reminds me why I am currently remodeling our "stories" area. I hope folks don't mind me lifting stories off the boards and moving them there- but this stuff is so classic, I hate to bury it deep in the board. Maybe eventually, I'll print a book of "Tales from the Hearth"....

New Area:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/stories/listing

BTW, Nashua stoves used to have ads in which they put a stick inside their stoves and set it off - stove remained intact! Now that was over and above the call of duty.

Webmaster said:
BTW, Nashua stoves used to have ads in which they put a stick inside their stoves and set it off - stove remained intact! Now that was over and above the call of duty.

Now THAT is secondary combustion!

Wow that blows. Hang a few cow bells or something similar from the eyehooks on the tarp. I did that once when I suspected my neighbor was picking pieces off the top of my pile. It stopped once those bells were there.

Big Eric said:
My grandfather was born in 1921. He was a teen during the depression and times were tough. They had a miserly old neighbor who used to come over and steal wood from my great grandfather. My grandpa said that his dad jumped this guy about it and the guy denied it even though there were foot prints in the snow. So, great grandpa drilled out a split of wood and put a stick of dynamite in it and capped it with a plug of wood. He told the boys not to grab it and not to tell anyone. A couple of weeks later, they were awoken to a thunderous clatter. It blew the guys stove up and burned his home down. The old guy survived, but had to go live at the county home. No, he wasn't stealing wood, was he? I know it may sound like an poophead thing to do, but you have to recall that the times were different then. You wouldn't get by with that today.

Those times were tough in Detroit to. My dad said they would try to burn anything for heat. He told me pianos burn real good !!

EH I have more than enough dry wood. You are welcome to some I will swap some dry for future green wood.I have more than a few cords possibly 5, I will not need this year..

Let me know if I can help you out

Hmmm. About 12-13 years ago There was a fella who had his florida room burgled and a kerosene heater was taken. He called the police, reported it, and bought another one. Week later, same thing. He calls the police, reports it....no clues, yada yada. week later, house 2 streets over burns to the ground. They were using kerosene heaters to heat with. 3 of them apparently....and one of them had been filled with gasoline instead of kerosene. Old man who had been burgled the 1st 2 times smiled and said " No Sh#$"? Nope....not missing a 3rd kerosene heater.

My place is in a transitional heighborhood. Last night a car alarm went off for about 30 minutes. I have had no problems, they don't dare touch my stuff. Too afraid of the old gimp who chases all the trash away during the day. I have a, by choice, homeless man who has my permission to set his camp on my property, been through the hassle a few times with the cops. We protect our home 24-7. I have worked really hard for what I have, don't think a free loader should take advantage. I have a wood pile that has attracted attention, but it is wormy pinon-pine for customer orders. No interest, but they busted up a bunch to grab the scrap metal behind it. Caught two guys stealing electrical track and a grinder base last year. Had a shoving match with a guy who thought that a shelf in the yard was his, because it was near the dumpster. Gave him the option of walking or kissing the softball bat. I truly have become a synic. Anyone crossing the homestead is trying to take from me. Bad attitude? Guess the guy I took to the truck stop and back, because he ran out of gas might agree, only it was 20 degrees and the wind was 30 mph. So, what's a good-old-boy?

We have friends in Quebec, who had 17 cord worth of winter wood setting on the opposite end of the family farm and it was stolen, about 300 ft off a dirt road. Never heard what happened in the end but I have a feeling the score was settled.

All the best Earth, use your head we don't want to read about on you in the firewood section of the Sunday Globe giving shaving lessions with your competition double bit axe.

Thanks ELK, the wheels are in motion to "FIX" the problem!!!!!!! Thank you for the ideas. I will keep everyone updated.

Maybe the person stealing the wood was thinking he was helping you out removing that ugly pile from your place?! ;-P

Here in Western MA, there are alot of stone walls still existing on private property on my nay back roads...these are legacy stone walls, built hundereds of years ago by farmers who needed to put all the fieldstone somewhere and also saw the need to keep livestock in. Weve been having issues lately of people stealing stone walls! They use it for fireplaces and for high-end stone walls in front of some very expensive homes. A while back, my father kept hearing a clunk-clunk. Sure enough, down the road theres a couple guys loading up one of our stone walls into the pickup truck, never realizing that its someone elses property.
Ill bet this person will be back for more wood. Catch him, threaten him with legal action, or your want your wood back and more. I dont know what else you can do. Explosives anymore have safeties built in.....you can burn most explosives now and with out caps, it would be just added BTU's. Even dynamite, TNT, or Trinitrotoluene will burn without an explosion. Fortunately, these days, these items arent readily available to every Tom, Dick, and Muhammed.

It must have been a country guy. City bums stick to selling drugs like it's supposed to be. There is a definite growth in the field of home brewed methamphetamines in the sticks these days though. They likely won't steal wood though. A cook can't afford to have open flames about when he is working his magic. On the real side you might try one of those game cameras if you want to see who it is. They make computer recorders that are dirt cheap and motion activated too. It makes good evidence so they have to plead guilty. Just keep it inside where they can't go steal or bust it when it flashes.

I had a cord of wood dumped in front of my house in the morning before i went to work. I was going to stack it when i got home that same day. Well around 4pm when i got home my neighbor says he walked out side in the middlle of the day and 2 assholes were stackimg my wood in their damn truck. He asked them what they were doing and they said they were taking my trash. He knows I burn and he said he didnt think so and made them unstack from their truck. I would have loved to been there and stick my foot along with a piece of wood they wanted so dearly far up their ass!!! From now on I get my wood delivered out back.

Status
Not open for further replies.