I was pleasantly suprised today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PA. Woodsman

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2007
Emmaus, Pennsylvania
There is a section of woods and people's property up the mountain from me that I have been very fortunate to have gotten some good wood scores over the last few years; Memorial Day weekend past in particular, so I cruise through there every so often and see if I can spot any new scores. About a month ago, I spotted a decent sized Ash tree that uprooted as they tend to do, and it is a pretty wet area, so I asked the landowner if I could take it sometime and he said "yeah, sure". I told him that must be a new "victim" but he said it came down in one of the storms last year or before. Now I didn't want to argue with him, but I KNOW that my "radar" would've spotted that a LOT sooner if it had been laying there, especially when I was right across the street on Memorial Day. But anyway, I was planning on having a tussle with it; I remember dealing with some really dry Ash and man does it fight back, dulls the chain fast, even makes the saw hot and smoke etc., but this today cut like a dream-WHEW!!! The owner wasn't home so I just sliced and diced and hauled it up a little hill again and again and again.....I cut the tops into manageable sections so I can throw them in the compost site tomorrow as I wanted to clean it up and not just "cherry pick" and leave the tops lay while I take the good stuff, you know? I didn't take it all, I left about a 15 foot section there that I can go back for anytime; it was getting late, getting cold and the old Bronco was getting full-but my point is I would tend to think that I was right thinking it came down more recently than he thought-if it was laying there for a year or more I think it would've fought me harder but I'm glad!

My kind of day-off from work, burning wood in the stove and working with future fuelwood....;) :)

Reactions: stephiedoll
Interesting what you say about cutting the ash. We've never noticed that problem and we've cut about 98% ash for the past 10 years or more. Sure is a good find though and congratulations on that one.

Gotta love that Ash! Nice score!

I'm sure you have cut a lot of wood but I never noticed Ash to be difficult to cut, Splitting green by hand can be an experience though.

Yes that's what makes that strange; it must've been about 7 years ago or so, and this was an Ash that was down for who knows how long. I remember having very much difficulty cutting it-the saw was smoking, the chain was leaving black marks on the wood, just a nightmare. If I recall correctly I even changed chains but it didn't help much; perhaps the chains were dull because as you guys said Ash should be easy to cut through!

Status
Not open for further replies.