I will never under stand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I am sure this was asked some where but my searches come up with nothing...

I burned my stove last night and this morning the glass is covered in black dust or soot or whatever you want to call it. What does this mean? Is it too much air, too little air, or is it no big deal?

What setting was it at?, at low it may but it should be a light brown color. You may need to allow more air flow to clean it up.

well I have 5 settings and I had it on 3. If I had the air out more than I had it, the pellets were flying all over, so I don't know.

If you have a mother-in-law, I'm sure she can tell you EXACTLY what you did wrong

You need more air. Some pellets are going to "launch" out of the pot, this is normal. The only other option is that your gasket doesn't seal, but that's not likely since air adjustment has an effect on the burn. Usually if the gasket is bad you can go up and down with the air and it makes little to no difference in the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.