I wish I had found this Forume in 2009!!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AppalachianStan

Minister of Fire
Nov 4, 2011
Clover SC
I have learned a lot about the wood burning science from the forum. And you all have been a great help.I did not know that you would have to have a solid fuel system degree to put in a wood stove system. I thought just put the stove and pipes in and start burning wood. No you can't do it that way. Its a science to burn wood now a days. A good EPA stove system if installed right will save you time and money.
I wish I had the money to buy a new stove with. Just have to make do with what I have.

Bought my epa stove that heats 2000 feet 1 year used for 450 bucks. Deals are out there. Glad you enjoy this place too.

pen

I found this Forum in 2007 and it kept me on the straight and narrow path. It started out by changing my mind on the original stove I was going to buy after reading numerous negative posts. The stove I bought had great reviews and I have been thrilled with my purchase. Also taught me the wisdom of using dry wood - and of course that one should normally use a hydraulic splitter in the horizontal position, unless the round is too big to lift!

fire_man said:
Also taught me the wisdom of using dry wood - and of course that one should normally use a hydraulic splitter in the horizontal position, unless the round is too big to lift!

Why's that? I much prefer the ease of splitting vertically. As long as you're doing it safe, I dont see what the difference would be.

I get me one of those manual jack wood splitter Its better than an axed to split wood but the wood has to be under 18" long. So much to do. Need to start to get the wood up for 2 or 4 years. I may have to just buy a newer EPA wood stove. I like the ideal of the top load stove but need some thing that dose not need a lot of maintenance and I can cook on. Something that will heat over or a round 2000sq feet and it has to be a cat system.

pen said:
Bought my epa stove that heats 2000 feet 1 year used for 450 bucks. Deals are out there. Glad you enjoy this place too.

pen

I'm with Pen. I've bought four stoves over the last four years. Only one was more than $400. All of which are in very good condition.

Where did you find the wood stove. I have looked all over Craigslist (Charlotte NC, Asheville NC, Hickory NC, Greenville SC. Now as for going up north is out. No truck and no money. So it has to be kinda local.

AppalachianStan said:
Where did you find the wood stove. I have looked all over Craigslist (Charlotte NC, Asheville NC, Hickory NC, Greenville SC. Now as for going up north is out. No truck and no money. So it has to be kinda local.

You don't need a truck. I rented a small hatchback car when I picked up the Encore in Maryland (the rental + gas was actually cheaper than if I took my truck and trailer)

I took the legs, doors, griddle, and back panel off and was able to lift and load without any help.

You could also rent a trailer for about $20 from the local rental place which could attach to any car.

Here's a list of stove and inserts I found within 100 miles of you.

Englander 13 $500:
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/hsh/2683008969.html

Pleasant Hearth for $599:
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/app/2677650627.html

Vogelzang Colonial $750:
http://columbia.craigslist.org/for/2680695894.html

And a pretty nice looking Buck Model 81 insert (Which I think can be used as a free standing stove as well) $950:
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/app/2696021158.html

1) It has to be Catalytic Wood Burning Stove.
2) It has to have an 8" flue.

My mind reading skills appear to be sub-par.

BrowningBAR said:

Work on that, will you! And get back to me on what I'm thinking.

Stan, keep your eyes peeled. If you have the time, something will show up.

BrowningBAR said:

You mind reading skills are not working because I'm wearing my tin foil hat.
I for got to say the size flue I have. I will it will take some time to find the stove.

AppalachianStan said:

Baaahahaha - now that was funny.

AppalachianStan said:
BrowningBAR said:

I for got to say the size flue I have. I will it will take some time to find the stove.

Tin foil, my arch-enemy.

BrowningBAR said:
AppalachianStan said:
BrowningBAR said:

Tin foil, my arch-enemy.

Man, you guys are OLD! When's the last time you saw tin foil? It's aluminum foil, dudes. (P.S. I'm 66, so I can wear my tin-foil hat to weddings and funerals.)

AppalachianStan said:

Look for a Dutchwest model 2462 in good condition this meets both of those specs.. Good stove that will last a long time if properly used and cared for..

Ray

Not really I'm 40

raybonz said:
AppalachianStan said:

Look for a Dutchwest model 2462 in good condition this meets both of those specs.. Good stove that will last a long time if properly used and cared for..

Ray
Is this a newer stove I have an Appalachian 52 that looks to be for 1989 not sure can not find the date on it. Just looking for something that met burn cleaner than that one.

AppalachianStan said:
raybonz said:
AppalachianStan said:

Ray
Is this a newer stove I have an Appalachian 52 that looks to be for 1989 not sure can not find the date on it. Just looking for something that met burn cleaner than that one.

The Dutchwest 2462 burns very clean and is well made, has an 8" flue and is catalytic..

http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Stoves/Catalytic/DutchWest/

Ray

raybonz said:
AppalachianStan said:
raybonz said:
AppalachianStan said:

Ray

The Dutchwest 2462 burns very clean and is well made, has an 8" flue and is catalytic..

http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Stoves/Catalytic/DutchWest/

Ray

It is a nice stove maybe I can luck up and get one.

Amen, Stan!

I've been burning an old (70's era) "The Earth Stove" for quite a few years. Never have given it a whole lot of thought. I mean, heck, there ain't a whole lot to burning a pile of wood in a woodstove, right?

Wrong!

I found this site a few weeks ago when I was googling for reviews on a new (Osburn) stove I was considering. I was astonished by the science and the subtleties of wood burning - and the obvious expertise and wisdom of so many people here.

I'm now waiting for my new Blaze King Princess to arrive. And having a hard time rationalizing why I'm so excited about its imminent arrival. Or why for the first time - ever - I'm kind of excited about winter (I'm a summer-weather kind of guy and, save for hunting season, have never before ever had a whit of pleasure from cold weather). Or why hearth.com is now my favorite website and how I can't wait to get home from work, change clothes, crack a cold beer, and sit down and learn some more woodburning stuff!

Good luck with the stove search. I'm sure patience, and a rakish angle on that tin foil, will turn up something...

Jager said:
Amen, Stan!

I've been burning an old (70's era) "The Earth Stove" for quite a few years. Never have given it a whole lot of thought. I mean, heck, there ain't a whole lot to burning a pile of wood in a woodstove, right?

Wrong!

I found this site a few weeks ago when I was googling for reviews on a new (Osburn) stove I was considering. I was astonished by the science and the subtleties of wood burning - and the obvious expertise and wisdom of so many people here.

I'm now waiting for my new Blaze King Princess to arrive. And having a hard time rationalizing why I'm so excited about its imminent arrival. Or why for the first time - ever - I'm kind of excited about winter (I'm a summer-weather kind of guy and, save for hunting season, have never before ever had a whit of pleasure from cold weather). Or why hearth.com is now my favorite website and how I can't wait to get home from work, change clothes, crack a cold beer, and sit down and learn some more woodburning stuff!

Good luck with the stove search. I'm sure patience, and a rakish angle on that tin foil, will turn up something...

Welcome to the forum Jeff and good luck with your new stove!

Ray

Jager said:
Amen, Stan!

Wrong!

Jager it is crazy how addicting hearth.com is.

AppalachianStan said:

I just search craigslist almost daily. Been looking for another 30, but no luck. Stopped searching for a week or so and on my next search, BAM!, one for $450. Crossing my fingers that things work out and that I can pick it up on Sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.