I wonder if my 6x6 woodstove area can double as a sauna?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderingWoman

Jun 5, 2008
Pacific NW
I've been using my woodstove happily now. You may recall that I expanded my living room into 6'x6' of my porch to accomodate my stove.

Once it gets fired up it really gets hot by the stove! I was thinking, if I get some sort drapes or shade to close off that 6x6 space it could become a sauna. Then, when I'm done I could open it up and have it go back to its usual function. What do you think? Take a look, I just snapped this photo this morning.

Oct2008.jpg

I would have to add a drain for the sweat (composed mostly of bacon grease and beer) that would drip off of me.

I would be cautious about limiting the air to the appliance. This could be dangerous to both the user and the stove.

A sauna's a whole different animal...high heat and very high humidity, typically a bed of hot rocks you sprinkle water on to form steam. Purpose-built with materials that are chosen specifically for the environment. I highly recommend against sprinkling water on your woodstove. Kettle of water placed on top, OK. Try that and see if it produces the effect you're looking for, but I bet you open the doors up pretty quickly. Rick

There are dry saunas. They sell those little cedar saunas, I saw one at the fair. You just plug it in 110, it has a little electric heater that heats it up.

You're absolutely right, they are generally a very dry heat. So dry, in fact, that the "water on the hot rocks" thing is used occasionally to introduce some moisture into the otherwise very dry environment. I misspoke. Rick

Sauna is very dry. No need for floor drain. By putting the water on the rocks you are only raising the humidity for a very short time and the dryness will be back in no time. Temps of 160 to 220 F are common.
You don't need outside air as long as you have proper ventilation. A sauna should have space under the door for cold air intake and a vent near the ceiling (on the wall) for hot air exit. A sauna should not be stuffy and needs this ventilation. An OAK would be perfect but you still need to move the air for the comfort of the people.

I have been in tons of back country huts ski touring that have had saunas and they usually are just a woodstove. No rocks. We just usually throw snow on the stove to make steam. When you get too hot jump out into a snowbank. Pot of water on top for washing up after the sauna.

I was thinking of putting some sort of blind that would roll down from the opening you see there. When I want a sauna sweat I would just close it and hold all the woodstove heat in that small space, then when I'm done open it up again. I think it would work.

I had been considering buying one of those indoor, small saunas like they had at the fair, but this will save me money.

Status
Not open for further replies.